If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a glass bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin the taste and quality of your smoke, as well as pose health risks from mold and bacteria. In this blog post, we will show you how to properly clean any type of glass bong using simple and cheap ingredients. You will also learn how often you should clean your bong and change the water to ensure the best smoking experience.
Why You Need to Clean Your Glass Bong
A glass bong is a device that filters and cools the smoke from your herb or tobacco through water, making it smoother and less harsh on your lungs. However, over time, the water and the glass can accumulate tar, resin, and other impurities that can affect the flavor and potency of your smoke. These impurities can also harbor harmful microorganisms that can cause infections or allergies.
Therefore, cleaning your glass bong regularly is essential for maintaining its functionality and appearance, as well as your health and satisfaction. A clean bong will deliver pure and smooth hits that will enhance your smoking experience. It will also look more attractive and last longer.
How Often You Should Clean Your Glass Bong
The frequency of cleaning your glass bong depends on how often you use it and how dirty it gets. As a general rule, you should change the water in your bong after every smoke session to prevent it from getting stale and contaminated. You should also rinse the bong with warm water to remove any loose debris.
For a deeper cleaning, you should use alcohol, salt, or other ingredients to dissolve and scrub away the stubborn resin and tar that stick to the glass. This should be done roughly once a week if you use your bong moderately, or more often if you use it heavily or notice a significant buildup of gunk. You can also do a deep cleaning whenever you want to enjoy a fresh and flavorful smoke.
How to Clean Your Glass Bong with Alcohol and Salt
One of the most popular and effective methods of cleaning a glass bong is using isopropyl alcohol (also known as rubbing alcohol) and coarse salt. These ingredients work together to break down and remove the resin and tar from the glass without damaging it. Here are the steps to follow:
- Separate all the moving pieces from the bong, such as the bowl, the stem, and the mouthpiece. This will make it easier to clean each part thoroughly.
- Rinse out the pieces in hot water to loosen up any large chunks of resin that may be clogging up your bong. Be careful not to use boiling water on a cold piece, as this can cause it to shatter. If your piece is cold, start with lukewarm water and gradually raise the temperature.
- Knock off any big pieces of resin with cotton swabs or pipe cleaners. If there are any large chunks of tar or resin that you can easily reach, simply knock them off with gentle scrubbing. If a chunk resists, that’s fine. You just want to get rid of the big, easily removed chunks now.
- Place the smaller parts in resealable plastic bags. Make sure that they can seal effectively. You’ll use the bag to contain your cleaning fluid while you soak the smaller pieces.
- Fill your plastic bags with isopropyl alcohol. Purchase 90% isopropyl instead of 71% whenever available, though both will work. They can be found in the first aid section of your supermarket or pharmacy. Make sure the pieces are fully submerged in the fluid.
- Add some coarse salt to the bags. Salt acts as an abrasive that helps scrub away the resin from the glass. You can use any kind of salt, such as table salt, sea salt, or kosher salt.
- Shake the bags vigorously for a minute or two. This will help the alcohol and salt mixture reach every corner of the pieces and dissolve and dislodge the resin.
- Let the pieces soak in the bags for some time. Depending on how dirty your pieces are, you may need to soak them for a few hours or overnight. This will allow the alcohol to penetrate deeper into the resin and make it easier to remove.
- Pour out the alcohol/salt mixture from the bags and rinse the pieces with warm water and dish soap. Make sure no alcohol or salt are left on the pieces, as they can affect the taste and quality of your smoke.
- Repeat the process if necessary. If your pieces are still dirty after the first round of cleaning, you can repeat the steps with fresh alcohol and salt until they are sparkling clean.
- For the main body of the bong, you can follow the same steps as above, but instead of using a plastic bag, you can pour the alcohol and salt directly into the bong. Plug the holes with your fingers or some paper towels and shake the bong well. Then, let it soak for some time and rinse it with warm water and dish soap.
- Let the pieces dry completely before reassembling and using your bong. You can use a towel or a hair dryer to speed up the drying process. Make sure there is no moisture or odor left on the pieces, as this can affect the performance and flavor of your bong.
How to Clean Your Glass Bong without Alcohol
If you don’t have alcohol available or prefer not to use it, there are some alternatives that you can use to clean your glass bong. Some common ingredients are vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, and denture tablets. These ingredients have acidic or effervescent properties that can help dissolve and remove the resin from the glass. Here are some examples of how to use them:
- Vinegar and baking soda: Mix equal parts of vinegar and baking soda in a bowl or a cup. The mixture will fizz and bubble, so be careful not to spill it. Pour the mixture into the bong and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then, rinse it with warm water and dish soap.
- Lemon juice and boiling water: Boil some water and add some lemon juice to it. Lemon juice is a natural cleaner that can help cut through the resin and leave a fresh scent. Pour the hot water and lemon juice into the bong and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then, rinse it with warm water and dish soap.
- Denture tablets: Drop one or two denture tablets into the bong and fill it with warm water. Denture tablets are designed to clean and sanitize dentures, so they can also work on glass bongs. Let the tablets dissolve and fizz for 15 minutes. Then, rinse it with warm water and dish soap.
Cleaning your glass bong is not a difficult or expensive task, but it can make a big difference in your smoking experience. By using simple ingredients like alcohol, salt, vinegar, or lemon juice, you can easily remove the resin and tar from your bong and make it look and smell like new. You should also change the water in your bong regularly and deep clean it at least once a week to prevent mold and bacteria growth. By following these tips, you can enjoy smooth and flavorful hits from your glass bong every time.