If you are looking for a quick and easy way to enjoy your favorite herb or tobacco, you might want to try making a water bottle bong. A water bottle bong is a simple homemade device that allows you to smoke through water filtration, which can enhance the flavor and smoothness of your smoke. All you need are some basic household items and a few minutes of your time. Here is how to make a water bottle bong in 5 easy steps.
What You Will Need
To make a water bottle bong, you will need the following materials:
- An empty plastic water bottle. Any size will work, but a standard 16.9 ounce bottle is ideal. Remove the cap and label.
- A lighter. You will use this to light your herb or tobacco, as well as to make holes in the bottle.
- A pair of scissors or another sharp tool. You will use this to poke holes in the bottle for the downstem and the carb.
- A ballpoint pen. You will disassemble this and use the empty tube as the downstem.
- A small metal socket. You will use this as the bowl for your herb or tobacco. You can find one at any hardware store or in your toolbox.
- Some aluminum foil. You will use this to wrap around the socket and secure it to the pen tube.
- Some duct tape or electrical tape. You will use this to seal any gaps or leaks in your water bottle bong.
- Some cotton or gauze. You will use this to filter out any ash or debris from your smoke.
- Some water. You will use this to fill up the bottle and create the water filtration system.
Step 1: Make the Downstem and Bowl
The first step is to make the downstem and bowl for your water bottle bong. Here is how to do it:
- Disassemble the ballpoint pen, taking all the components apart until you are left with only the long empty plastic tube. This becomes the downstem.
- Take the metal socket and wrap some aluminum foil around its base, leaving the opening exposed. This becomes the bowl.
- Insert the socket into one end of the pen tube, making sure it fits snugly. You may need to use some tape to secure it in place.
- Poke some small holes in the aluminum foil with a needle or a toothpick. This will allow the smoke to pass through into the downstem.
- Stuff some cotton or gauze into the other end of the pen tube. This will act as a filter and prevent any ash or debris from getting into your mouth.
Step 2: Make the Holes in the Bottle
The next step is to make the holes in the bottle for the downstem and the carb. The carb is a hole that you cover with your finger while smoking, and then release to clear the smoke from the chamber. Here is how to make the holes:
- Use your lighter to heat up a small area on the side of the bottle, near the bottom. Be careful not to burn yourself or melt too much of the plastic.
- Use your scissors or another sharp tool to poke a hole through the heated area. The hole should be slightly larger than the diameter of your pen tube.
- Insert your downstem into the hole at an angle, so that the bowl is pointing upwards and outside of the bottle, and the filter end is submerged in water inside the bottle.
- Use some tape to seal any gaps or leaks around the hole where you inserted your downstem.
- Use your lighter again to heat up another small area on the side of the bottle, slightly above where you filled it with water. This will be your carb hole.
- Use your scissors or another sharp tool to poke a hole through the heated area. The hole should be large enough for you to cover with your finger, but not too big that it lets out too much air.
Step 3: Fill Up Your Bottle With Water
The third step is to fill up your bottle with water and create your water filtration system. Here is how to do it:
- Pour some water into your bottle, filling it up to about a quarter of the way. You don’t want to fill it up too much, or else you will end up with water in your mouth when you smoke.
- Make sure that the end of your downstem is submerged in water, but not too deep. You want to leave some space for the smoke to bubble through the water and cool down.
- Adjust the water level as needed by adding or removing water from the bottle.
Step 4: Pack Your Bowl and Light Up
The fourth step is to pack your bowl with your herb or tobacco and light it up. Here is how to do it:
- Grind up your herb or tobacco of choice, using a grinder, scissors, or your fingers.
- Sprinkle some of your ground herb or tobacco into the socket bowl, filling it up to the brim. Don’t pack it too tightly, or else you will restrict the airflow and make it harder to smoke.
- Hold your water bottle bong in one hand, covering the carb hole with your finger. Place your mouth over the opening of the bottle, where you removed the cap.
- Use your lighter to ignite your herb or tobacco in the bowl, while inhaling gently through your mouth. You should see the smoke travel through the downstem and bubble through the water, filling up the chamber of the bottle.
- When you have enough smoke in the chamber, remove your finger from the carb hole and inhale sharply through your mouth. This will clear the smoke from the chamber and deliver it to your lungs.
- Exhale and enjoy!
Step 5: Clean Up and Store Your Water Bottle Bong
The final step is to clean up and store your water bottle bong after you are done using it. Here is how to do it:
- Empty the water from your bottle and rinse it out with some fresh water. You can also use some soap or alcohol to disinfect it if you want.
- Remove the downstem from the bottle and rinse it out as well. You can also use a pipe cleaner or a cotton swab to remove any residue from inside the tube.
- Dispose of any leftover herb or tobacco in the bowl and clean it with some water or alcohol. You can also use a needle or a toothpick to poke out any clogged holes in the foil.
- Dry all the parts of your water bottle bong with a towel or some paper towels.
- Store your water bottle bong in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight or heat sources. You can also disassemble it and store the parts separately if you want.
Making a water bottle bong is a fun and easy way to enjoy your herb or tobacco without spending a lot of money on a fancy piece. All you need are some basic household items and a few minutes of your time. Just follow these 5 simple steps and you will have a fully functioning water bottle bong in no time. Happy smoking!