If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a bong, you may wonder how to get the best experience possible. One of the factors that can affect your smoking session is the water level and temperature in your bong. In this blog post, we will explain why water is important for bong smoking, how to measure and adjust the water level and temperature in your glass bong, and what are the benefits of doing so.
Why is water important for bong smoking?
Water is an essential component of a bong, as it serves two main purposes: filtration and cooling. Water filtration means that the smoke passes through the water before reaching your mouth and lungs, which helps to remove some of the harmful substances such as tar, ash, and carcinogens. Water cooling means that the water lowers the temperature of the smoke, making it smoother and less harsh on your throat and lungs.
According to a literature review published by researcher Nicholas V. Cozzi, a study in 1963 found that “water filtration reduces both the amount of particulate matter and the number and quantity of toxic substances in the smoke that passes through it.” Similarly,a number of studies throughout the 1970s found that THC tends to pass through water while a number of other, potentially harmful substances are filtered out and stay behind in the water. Further supporting these findings, a study published in 1991 concluded that when smoke passes through water or some other wet surface, a number of toxic substances are removed.
How to measure and adjust the water level in your glass bong?
The water level in your glass bong is determined by how much water you pour into the water chamber, which is usually the bottom part of the bong where the downstem (the long tube of glass that connects to the bowl) is submerged. The ideal water level for most bongs is about 1 inch (2.54 cm) above the tip of the downstem.
Any more water than that and you could get splashed while you’re smoking. Any less water than that and you could compromise the filtration and cooling effects of the water.
To measure and adjust the water level in your glass bong, follow these steps:
- Pour water into the mouthpiece, which is the large opening at the top of the bong, until it reaches the desired level.
- If you have too much water, tilt the bong slightly and pour out some of the excess water from the mouthpiece or the carb hole (the small hole on the side of the bong that you cover with your finger while smoking).
- If you have too little water, add more water through the mouthpiece until it covers the tip of the downstem.
- Check if the water level is correct by placing your mouth on the mouthpiece and inhaling gently. You should hear a bubbling sound without feeling any water splashing into your mouth.
- If needed, adjust the water level again until you are satisfied.
How to measure and adjust the water temperature in your glass bong?
The water temperature in your glass bong is determined by how hot or cold the water is when you pour it into the bong, as well as how long you let it sit before smoking. The ideal water temperature for most bongs is around room temperature or slightly cooler.
Too hot water can make the smoke feel harsher and irritate your throat and lungs. Too cold water can make the smoke feel denser and harder to inhale.
To measure and adjust the water temperature in your glass bong, follow these steps:
- Use a thermometer to check the temperature of the water before pouring it into the bong. You can also use your finger to test if it feels comfortable or not.
If you want to cool down your water, you can add ice cubes to it or put it in the fridge for a few minutes. Some bongs have an ice catch, which is a section in the neck of the bong where you can place ice cubes to cool down the smoke as it passes through.
- If you want to warm up your water, you can microwave it for a few seconds or use warm tap water. However, be careful not to overheat your water, as it can damage your glass bong or burn your mouth.
- Pour the water into your bong and check if it feels comfortable by inhaling gently. You can also use a thermometer to measure the temperature of the water inside the bong.
- If needed, adjust the water temperature again until you are satisfied.
What are the benefits of measuring and adjusting the water level and temperature in your glass bong?
By measuring and adjusting the water level and temperature in your glass bong, you can enjoy a number of benefits, such as:
- Improving the filtration and cooling effects of the water, which can make your smoking experience smoother, cleaner, and more enjoyable.
- Reducing the risk of inhaling harmful substances, such as tar, ash, and carcinogens, which can damage your health in the long term.
- Enhancing the flavor and aroma of your herb or tobacco, as the water can help to preserve the terpenes and other compounds that give cannabis its distinctive smell and taste.
- Customizing your smoking session according to your preferences and mood, as you can experiment with different water levels and temperatures to find what works best for you.
Water is an important element of bong smoking, as it helps to filter and cool down the smoke, making it smoother and healthier. By measuring and adjusting the water level and temperature in your glass bong, you can optimize your smoking experience and enjoy the full benefits of your herb or tobacco. Remember to always use clean water and change it regularly, as dirty water can harbor bacteria and mold that can ruin your bong and your health. Also, make sure to clean your glass bong after every use or at least once a week, using a cleaning solution (either one designed specifically for bongs or a combination of rubbing alcohol and coarse salt) and zipper-top plastic bags.
We hope this blog post was helpful and informative. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Happy smoking!
Cozzi NV. Pharmacological studies of ‘party pills’ in New Zealand: testing of effectiveness of ‘party pill’ legislation in New Zealand. N Z Med J. 2009;122(1307):18-26.
How to Use a Bong | Learn to Smoke (Hit) a Bong | Weedmaps
How to Use a Bong: Step-By-Step Instructions | The Cannigma
How Does a Bong Work and How to Use It (Stoned Science) – Greencamp
How to Smoke from a Bong: 15 Steps (with Pictures) – wikiHow