If you are looking for a smooth, clean and potentially healthier way to enjoy your herb or tobacco, you might want to try using a bong. A bong is a pipe that uses water to cool and filter the smoke, producing an especially satisfying smoking experience. In this blog post, we will show you how to prepare, smoke and clean a bong.
What You Need
To smoke out of a bong, you will need the following items:
- Your favorite strain of herb or tobacco
- A bong. Be sure your bong has a downstem and a bowl.
- A lighter or hemp wick
- A grinder
- For cleaning your bong, you will need zipper-top plastic bags, plugs that fit the holes in your bong, and a cleaning solution (either one designed specifically for bongs or a combination of rubbing alcohol and coarse salt).
How to Prepare the Bong
Before you can smoke anything out of a bong, you need to fill it up with water and pack the bowl. Here are the steps to follow:
- Fill the bong with water. Bottled or tap water will work. The exact amount of water you should pour in will vary depending on the size of the bong you’re using. Fill up the bong so the water comes no more than 1 inch (2.54 cm) above the tip of the downstem (the long tube of glass that sticks into the bong). Any more water than that and you could get splashed while you’re smoking. When you’re filling the bong with water, pour the water directly into the mouthpiece (the open part at the top of the bong).
- Grind up your herb or tobacco. Use your fingers, a pair of scissors, or a grinder. Make sure it’s ground up finely. Break off a couple of larger pieces, about 0.5 cm (0.2 inches) long and wide, to pack at the bottom of the bong bowl. These pieces will prevent the finely ground herb or tobacco from getting sucked through the bowl as you’re smoking.
- Pack the herb or tobacco in the bong bowl. The bowl is the funnel-shaped piece that sits in the outside portion of the downstem. Take the large pieces of herb or tobacco you set aside and pack them in the bowl first. Then, pinch some of the ground herb or tobacco between your fingers and drop it into the bowl. Don’t pack it too tightly or air won’t be able to pass through it. If it looks pressed down or compacted in the bowl, use something small and thin like a paper clip to stir it up and loosen it.
- If you’re smoking alone, don’t pack the bowl more than half full. You can always pack more later. If you’re smoking with friends, pack the bowl so it comes up to the rim of the bowl. Don’t pack it any higher or some could fall out as you’re smoking.
How to Smoke the Bong
Now that your bong is ready, it’s time to enjoy it. Here are the steps to follow:
- Get into a comfortable position with the bong. If you’re new to smoking bongs, take a seat near a table or stand so you can set the bong down if you start coughing. Sit near an open window if you don’t want the room to fill with smoke . Make sure the area you’re sitting in is free of any flammable objects.
- Hold the bong with your non-dominant hand. Wrap your hand around the smoke chamber (the long section that connects the mouthpiece and the water chamber) or hold the bong from the bottom.
- Place your mouth over the mouthpiece. Make sure your lips are inside the mouthpiece and form a tight seal.
- Cover the carb hole with your thumb if your bong has one. The carb hole is a small hole located somewhere on your bong, usually on the back or side.
Light up your herb or tobacco with your dominant hand while inhaling slowly through your mouth. You should see bubbles forming in
the water as you inhale.
- Keep inhaling until you see enough smoke in the chamber. You can check the smoke density by looking at the bong. The more smoke you see, the stronger the hit will be.
- When the bong is filled with smoke, you’re ready to clear the chamber and inhale the smoke. Remove your thumb from the carb hole, or, if you have a bong without one, pull the stem out from the stem hole. Now, inhale the smoke from the chamber. The smoke will clear quickly from the bong and into your lungs in one big cloud so get ready.
- Exhale the smoke and enjoy the effects of your herb or tobacco