A glass bong is a device that allows you to smoke herb or tobacco through water filtration, resulting in a smoother and cooler hit. Glass bongs are popular among smokers because they are durable, easy to clean, and come in various shapes and sizes. However, glass bongs can also be expensive and hard to find, especially if you live in an area where they are illegal or frowned upon. Fortunately, you can make your own glass bong at home using some cheap, basic supplies and a little bit of creativity. In this blog post, we will show you how to make a glass bong in 8 simple steps, as well as what materials and tools you will need.
Materials and tools
To make a glass bong at home, you will need the following materials and tools:
- A piece of glass tubing. This will be the main body of your bong. You can find glass tubing online or at a local hardware store. The length and diameter of the tubing will depend on how big you want your bong to be, but a good rule of thumb is to choose a tube that is at least 12 inches long and 1 inch wide.
- A glass bottle. This will be the base of your bong. You can use any kind of glass bottle, but make sure it has a wide mouth and a flat bottom. A wine bottle or a liquor bottle works well for this purpose.
- A propane torch. This is the tool that you will use to heat and shape the glass tubing. You can buy a propane torch online or at a local hardware store. Make sure you have enough propane gas to fuel the torch for at least 15 minutes.
- A working surface. This is where you will perform the glassblowing process. You will need a flat, sturdy, and heat-resistant surface that can withstand high temperatures. A metal table or a concrete floor works well for this purpose.
- Some safety equipment. Glassblowing can be dangerous if not done properly, so you will need some safety equipment to protect yourself from burns, cuts, and shards of glass. You will need a pair of gloves, goggles, and pliers.
Once you have gathered all the materials and tools, you can follow these steps to make your glass bong:
- Cut the glass tubing to the desired length. The length will depend on the size of the bong you want to create, but a good rule of thumb is to leave at least 4 inches of tubing for the mouthpiece and at least 2 inches for the downstem (the part that goes into the water). You can use a hacksaw or a glass cutter to cut the tubing.
- Heat the end of the glass tubing with the propane torch. Hold the torch about 2 inches away from the end of the tubing and move it back and forth until the glass becomes soft and pliable. Be careful not to overheat or burn the glass.
- Bend the end of the glass tubing into a curve. This will be the mouthpiece of your bong. Use your pliers to gently bend the end of the tubing into a curve that fits comfortably in your mouth. You can also use your fingers or a metal rod to shape the curve, but make sure you wear gloves to avoid burning yourself.
- Heat the other end of the glass tubing with the propane torch. Repeat step 2 with the other end of the tubing until it becomes soft and pliable.
- Poke a hole in the side of the glass tubing near the end. This will be the hole for the downstem of your bong. Use your pliers or a metal rod to poke a hole in the side of the tubing while it is still hot and soft. Make sure the hole is large enough to fit your downstem, but not so large that it creates an air leak.
Insert your downstem into the hole. A downstem is a tube with a bowl attached to it that holds your herb or tobacco. You can buy a downstem online or at a local head shop, or you can make one yourself using a highlighter and some foil (see
for instructions). Insert your downstem into the hole you made in step 5 and angle it downward so that it reaches into the water when you place your bong on the bottle.
- Cut a hole in the bottom of the glass bottle. This will be the hole for the glass tubing of your bong. Use your hacksaw or glass cutter to cut a hole in the bottom of the bottle that matches the diameter of your tubing. Be careful not to crack or shatter the bottle.
- Insert your glass tubing into the hole in the bottle. Place your bong on top of the bottle and insert your glass tubing into the hole you made in step 7. Make sure the tubing fits snugly and securely in the hole, and that there are no air leaks. You can use some silicone or epoxy to seal the gap if needed.
You have just made your own glass bong at home! To use it, fill the bottle with water until it covers the end of the downstem. Pack your bowl with your herb or tobacco of choice and light it with a lighter. Cover the mouthpiece with your mouth and inhale slowly and deeply. Enjoy!