If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a glass bong, you probably know how important it is to keep your piece clean and fresh. Not only does a dirty bong look and smell unpleasant, but it can also affect the quality and flavor of your smoke, as well as your health. In this blog post, we will explain how often you should change the water in a glass bong and why, as well as some tips on how to properly clean any type of bong.
Why you should change the water in your glass bong
Changing the water in your glass bong is one of the easiest and most effective ways to maintain your piece and enhance your smoking experience. Here are some of the benefits of changing the water regularly:
It prevents mold and bacteria growth.
When you smoke from a bong, you are inhaling water vapor along with the smoke. If the water is stale or dirty, it can harbor harmful microorganisms that can cause infections, allergies, or respiratory problems. Mold and bacteria can also clog up your bong and make it harder to draw.
It preserves the flavor and potency of your herb or tobacco.
The water in your bong acts as a filter that traps some of the tar, ash, and other impurities from the smoke. However, if the water is old or dirty, it can also absorb some of the cannabinoids, terpenes, and other compounds that give your herb or tobacco its effects and aroma. By changing the water frequently, you can ensure that you get the most out of your material.
It makes cleaning easier.
Changing the water in your bong after every smoke session will prevent the buildup of resin and gunk on the walls and inside the stem and bowl. This will make it easier to deep clean your bong when needed, as you won’t have to deal with stubborn stains or chunks of tar.
How often should you change the water in your glass bong
The general rule of thumb is to change the water in your glass bong after every smoke session. This will ensure that you always have fresh and clean water for your next session, and that you avoid inhaling any mold or bacteria that may have grown in the water. However, depending on how often you use your bong, you may need to change the water more or less frequently. For example:
- If you use your bong daily or multiple times a day, you should change the water at least once a day, or every time you use it.
- If you use your bong occasionally or rarely, you should change the water before and after each use.
- If you share your bong with others, you should change the water before and after each person uses it.
Changing the water in your glass bong is very simple. All you need to do is:
- Pour out the old water from the bong.
- Rinse out the bong with warm water to remove any debris or residue.
- Fill up the bong with fresh water to the desired level.
How to properly clean any type of bong
Besides changing the water in your glass bong regularly, you should also deep clean your piece roughly once a week to remove any resin or gunk that may have accumulated over time. This will ensure that your bong stays shiny and functional, and that you get smooth and tasty hits every time. To properly clean any type of bong, you will need:
- Isopropyl alcohol (90% or higher)
- Coarse salt
- Resealable plastic bags
- Cotton swabs or pipe cleaners
The basic steps are:
- Separate all the moving pieces from the bong, such as the slide and the stem.
- Rinse out each piece with hot water to loosen up any big chunks of resin.
- Knock off any remaining chunks of resin with cotton swabs or pipe cleaners.
- Place each piece in a resealable plastic bag filled with isopropyl alcohol and salt.
- Shake each bag for a minute or two to dissolve and dislodge any resin.
- Let each piece soak in the alcohol for a few hours or overnight for tough stains.
- Rinse each piece with warm water and dish soap to remove any alcohol or salt.
- Let each piece dry completely before reassembling the bong.
If you don’t have isopropyl alcohol or salt, you can also use other ingredients to clean your bong, such as vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, or boiling water. However, be careful not to use boiling water on a cold glass piece, as this can cause it to shatter. You can also buy specially made bong cleaners at a head shop or weed store, but they are often more expensive and contain unnecessary chemicals.
Keeping your glass bong clean and fresh is not only good for your piece, but also for your health and enjoyment. By changing the water in your glass bong after every smoke session, and deep cleaning it once a week, you can ensure that you get the best possible hits from your herb or tobacco. Remember to use isopropyl alcohol and salt for an effective and cheap home cleaner, and to rinse and dry your piece thoroughly before using it again. Happy smoking!