A bong is a popular device for smoking herbs or tobacco, but it can also get dirty and smelly over time. The resin from the smoke can build up on the glass and inside the water chamber, creating a sticky and unpleasant residue that can affect the taste and quality of your smoking experience. Moreover, dirty bong water can harbor bacteria, mold, and fungi that can pose health risks if inhaled.
Therefore, it is important to clean your bong regularly and properly to keep it in good condition and to enjoy the best flavor of your herbs or tobacco. One of the easiest and most effective ways to clean a bong is to use alcohol and salt as natural solvents and abrasives. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to clean a bong with alcohol.
What You Will Need
- A dirty bong
- Isopropyl alcohol (91% or 99%)
- Coarse salt (such as Epsom salt, rock salt, or sea salt)
- Two large zipper storage bags
- Rubber stoppers or bong plugs
- A towel
- Water and soap
How to Clean a Bong with Alcohol
- Remove the bowl, stem, and any other detachable parts from the bong. Rinse them with water to get rid of any loose debris.
- Place the bowl and stem in separate zipper storage bags. Add some coarse salt to each bag, enough to cover the bottom. Then pour enough alcohol to submerge the parts completely. Seal the bags and shake them gently to dissolve the salt and mix it with the alcohol.
- Place the bags in a safe place and let them soak for at least 30 minutes. You can also leave them overnight for better results.
- In the meantime, pour some coarse salt into the bong through the mouthpiece. Use enough salt to fill about a quarter of the water chamber.
- Pour enough alcohol into the bong to fill about half of the water chamber. Cover the mouthpiece and the downstem hole with rubber stoppers or bong plugs. Alternatively, you can use your hands or some plastic wrap and rubber bands.
- Shake the bong vigorously for about five minutes, making sure that the alcohol and salt mixture reaches every part of the glass. You should see the resin dissolving and turning the liquid brown.
- Remove the stoppers or plugs and pour out the dirty alcohol and salt mixture. Rinse the bong thoroughly with hot water until all traces of alcohol and salt are gone.
- Take out the bowl and stem from the zipper storage bags and discard the dirty alcohol and salt mixture. Rinse them well with hot water and use a pipe cleaner or a cotton swab to remove any remaining resin.
- Dry all parts of the bong with a towel or let them air dry completely before reassembling and using them.
Tips and Tricks
- If your bong is very dirty, you may need to repeat the process more than once to get it completely clean.
- If you don’t have alcohol, you can use vinegar instead. It is also a natural solvent that can dissolve resin, but it may not be as effective as alcohol.
- If you don’t have coarse salt, you can use rice instead. It is also a natural abrasive that can scrub away resin, but it may not be as effective as salt.
- To prevent your bong from getting too dirty, change the water after every smoking session and rinse it with hot water. This will help reduce resin buildup and prevent bacteria and mold growth.
- To keep your bong smelling fresh, you can add some lemon juice or baking soda to the water when you smoke. This will help neutralize odors and add some flavor to your smoke.
Cleaning a bong with alcohol is a simple and effective way to keep it in good shape and to enjoy the best flavor of your herbs or tobacco. All you need are some common household items like alcohol, salt, zipper storage bags, rubber stoppers or plugs, a towel, water, and soap. By following this guide, you can clean your bong in less than an hour and make it look like new again.