If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a glass bong, you probably know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin your smoking experience, affect the flavor and quality of your smoke, and even pose health risks. In this blog post, we will explain how often you should change the water in a glass bong and why, as well as how to properly clean your bong with simple ingredients.
Why You Should Change the Water in Your Glass Bong Regularly
Changing the water in your glass bong is not only a matter of aesthetics, but also of hygiene and safety. Here are some of the reasons why you should change the water in your glass bong after every smoke session:
- Prevent mold and bacteria growth: The water in your bong can become a breeding ground for mold and bacteria, especially if you leave it sitting for too long. Mold and bacteria can cause respiratory infections, allergies, and other health problems if you inhale them. They can also make your bong smell bad and look gross.
- Preserve the flavor and quality of your smoke: The water in your bong can affect the taste and potency of your smoke. If the water is dirty, stale, or contaminated, it can alter the flavor of your herb or tobacco, making it harsher, bitter, or unpleasant. It can also reduce the THC or nicotine content of your smoke, making it less effective.
- Maintain the appearance and function of your bong: The water in your bong can also affect the appearance and performance of your glass piece. If the water is dirty, it can leave stains, residue, or deposits on the glass, making it cloudy, dull, or discolored. It can also clog the stem, bowl, or percolator of your bong, making it harder to draw or clear.
How to Change the Water in Your Glass Bong
Changing the water in your glass bong is a simple and quick process that you should do after every smoke session. Here are the steps to follow:
- Pour out the old water from your bong into a sink or a trash can. Be careful not to spill any on yourself or your surroundings.
- Rinse out the bong with warm water to remove any loose debris or residue. You can use a bottle brush or a pipe cleaner to gently scrub any hard-to-reach areas.
- Fill up the bong with fresh water to the desired level. You can use tap water, filtered water, or distilled water, depending on your preference. Some people like to add ice cubes, lemon juice, or mint leaves to their water for extra cooling or flavor.
- Enjoy your clean and fresh smoke!
How to Clean Your Glass Bong Thoroughly
Besides changing the water in your glass bong regularly, you should also deep clean your glass piece at least once a week to remove any stubborn tar, resin, or buildup that may accumulate over time. Here are some of the methods you can use to clean your glass bong thoroughly:
Alcohol and Salt Method
This is one of the most popular and effective methods of cleaning a glass bong. All you need is isopropyl alcohol (preferably 90% or higher) and coarse salt (such as kosher salt or sea salt). Here are the steps to follow:
- Separate all the moving parts from the bong, such as the slide and the stem. Place them in resealable plastic bags.
- Fill up the bong and the bags with enough alcohol to cover the parts. Add some salt to each container as well.
- Plug the holes of the bong with paper towels or rubber stoppers. Seal the bags tightly.
- Shake the bong and the bags vigorously for a few minutes to dissolve and dislodge any tar or resin.
- Let the bong and the parts soak in alcohol for a few hours or overnight for best results.
- Pour out the alcohol/salt mixture from the bong and the bags into a sink or a trash can. Rinse everything with warm water and dish soap until no alcohol or salt remains.
- Dry the bong and the parts with a clean cloth or paper towels. Reassemble the bong and enjoy your sparkling clean piece!
Lemon and Boiling Water Method
This is another common and easy method of cleaning a glass bong without alcohol. All you need is lemon juice and boiling water. Here are the steps to follow:
- Separate all the moving parts from the bong, such as the slide and the stem. Place them in a saucepan.
- Squeeze some lemon juice into the bong and the saucepan. Lemon juice is a natural solvent that can help break down tar and resin.
- Boil some water in a kettle or another saucepan. Be careful not to burn yourself or your surroundings.
- Pour the boiling water into the bong and the saucepan with the parts. Make sure the water covers everything completely.
- Let the bong and the parts soak in the hot water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the water cools down.
- Pour out the water/lemon juice mixture from the bong and the saucepan into a sink or a trash can. Rinse everything with warm water and dish soap until no lemon juice remains.
- Dry the bong and the parts with a clean cloth or paper towels. Reassemble the bong and enjoy your shiny clean piece!
Cleaning your glass bong is not only easy, but also essential for your smoking pleasure and health. By changing the water in your glass bong after every smoke session, and by deep cleaning your glass piece once a week, you can ensure that you get the best flavor, quality, and safety from your smoke. You can use simple ingredients like alcohol, salt, lemon, and boiling water to clean your glass bong effectively. Happy smoking!