A glass bong is a device that allows you to smoke herb or tobacco through water, which filters and cools the smoke before you inhale it. Using a glass bong can enhance your smoking experience by reducing the harshness and irritation of the smoke, as well as preserving the flavor and potency of your product. However, to get the most out of your glass bong, you need to know how to measure the water level and temperature in it. These two factors can affect the quality and quantity of your hits, as well as the cleanliness and healthiness of your bong. In this blog post, we will explain how to measure the water level and temperature in a glass bong for optimal filtration and cooling.
How to measure the water level in a glass bong?
The water level in your glass bong plays a significant role in the filtration, temperature and hit of your smoke. Getting the optimal water level means getting the most of your bong. The optimal water level depends on the type and size of your bong, as well as the design of your downstem. The downstem is the tube that connects the bowl to the water chamber. It may have slits or gills at the bottom to diffuse the smoke into smaller bubbles.
To measure the water level in your glass bong, you need to follow these steps:
- Fill your bong with water until it covers the bottom of the downstem.
- Look closely at your downstem. If it has slits or gills, you need to make sure that they are completely submerged in water. If it has no slits or gills, you need to make sure that the downstem is submerged at least two inches above the opening for big bongs, or at least half an inch for mini bongs.
- Take a test hit without lighting the bowl. You should hear a distinct gurgling sound produced by the bubbles when the water level is just right. If you hear a splashing sound or feel water in your mouth, you have overfilled your bong and need to pour some water out. If you hear a weak bubbling sound or feel little resistance when you inhale, you have underfilled your bong and need to add some more water.
- Adjust the water level until you find the sweet spot where you get smooth and flavorful hits with minimal effort.
If your glass bong has percolators, which are additional chambers or devices that further filter and cool the smoke, you need to make sure that they are also filled with water. Each percolator may have a different optimal water level, so you need to experiment with each one until you find what works best for you.
How to measure the temperature in a glass bong?
The temperature in your glass bong affects the cooling power, cleanliness, sensation and health benefits of your smoke. The temperature in your glass bong depends on the temperature of the water you use to fill it, as well as the temperature of the environment where you store it. You can measure the temperature in your glass bong using a thermometer or by feeling it with your hand.
To measure the temperature in your glass bong, you need to follow these steps:
- Fill your bong with water at your desired temperature. You can use cold, warm or hot water depending on your preference.
- Insert a thermometer into the water chamber and read the temperature. Alternatively, you can touch the outside of the bong with your hand and feel how warm or cold it is.
- Take a test hit without lighting the bowl. You should feel how cool or warm the smoke is when you inhale it.
- Adjust the temperature until you find what suits you best.
The optimal temperature in your glass bong depends on your personal preference and smoking style. Some people prefer cold water because it cools down the smoke more effectively, making it less irritating to the throat and lungs. Cold water also produces thicker and more refreshing hits that enhance the freshness and flavor of your product. However, cold water also causes more resin build-up in your bong, which can waste some THC and make cleaning more difficult.
Some people prefer warm or hot water because it filters out more carcinogens and toxins from the smoke, making it healthier for your immune system. Warm or hot water also produces steamy and soothing hits that feel like a hot shower or a sauna. However, warm or hot water also reduces the potency and flavor of your product, making it less satisfying for some smokers.
The table below summarizes the pros and cons of different water temperatures in your glass bong:
|Cools down the smoke more effectively
Produces thicker and more refreshing hits
Enhances the freshness and flavor of the product
|Causes more resin build-up in the bong
Wastes some THC and makes cleaning more difficult
|Warm or Hot
|Filters out more carcinogens and toxins from the smoke
Produces steamy and soothing hits
Makes the smoke healthier for the immune system
|Reduces the potency and flavor of the product
Makes the smoke less satisfying for some smokers
In conclusion, measuring the water level and temperature in your glass bong is important for optimizing your smoking experience. You need to find the right balance between filtration, cooling, flavor, potency, cleanliness and healthiness of your smoke. You can experiment with different water levels and temperatures until you find what works best for you. Remember to always change your bong water after each session to keep it fresh and clean. Happy smoking!