A glass bong is a water-filtration device that can produce smooth, clean, and potent hits of smoke from your favorite herb or tobacco. However, using a glass bong can also be noisy and smelly, especially if you are not careful or considerate of your surroundings. In this blog post, we will share some tips and tricks on how to use a glass bong discreetly and respectfully, without compromising on the quality of your smoking experience.
What you need to use a glass bong
Before you start smoking, make sure you have the following items ready:
- A glass bong. You can choose from different shapes, sizes, and designs, but make sure your bong has a downstem, a bowl, and a mouthpiece. Some bongs also have a carb hole or a slider that helps to clear the smoke when released.
- Your herb or tobacco of choice. You can use any strain or blend you like, but make sure it is fresh and properly cured. Avoid using wet or moldy material, as it can ruin your bong and your health.
- A grinder. This is a device that helps you break up your herb or tobacco into small pieces that can burn evenly and efficiently in the bowl. You can also use your fingers or scissors, but a grinder will give you a more uniform and consistent grind.
- Water. You will need to fill the water chamber of your bong with enough water to submerge the bottom of the downstem, but not too much that it splashes into your mouth or overflows. You can also add ice cubes to the water if you want to cool down the smoke even more.
- A lighter or hemp wick. You will need to light the herb or tobacco in the bowl with a flame. You can use a regular lighter, but be aware that it can produce low levels of butane that may affect the taste and quality of your smoke. A hemp wick is a natural alternative that burns cleaner and slower than a lighter.
How to use a glass bong: step by step instructions
Once you have everything ready, follow these steps to use your glass bong:
- Grind your herb or tobacco. Take a small amount of your material and grind it with your grinder or break it up with your fingers or scissors. You don’t want to make it too fine or too coarse, just enough to fill the bowl without packing it too tightly.
- Fill the bong with water. Pour water into the mouthpiece until the waterline is above the base of the stem but below the bowl. You can also put ice cubes in the water if you’d like.
- Pack the bowl. Take some of your ground herb or tobacco and gently place it into the bowl. Don’t pack it too tightly or too loosely, just enough to cover the hole at the bottom of the bowl.
- Place your lips inside the mouthpiece. Hold the bong with one hand and put your mouth over the mouthpiece, creating a tight seal with your lips. If your bong has a carb hole, cover it with your thumb or finger.
- Light the bowl. Hold a lighter or hemp wick over the bowl and inhale slowly and steadily through the mouthpiece. As you inhale, you will see the smoke bubbling up through the water and filling up the chamber of the bong.
- Inhale the smoke. When the chamber is full of milky-white smoke, pull out the bowl or take your finger off the carb hole and inhale sharply and deeply, clearing the smoke from the chamber into your lungs.
- Exhale and enjoy. Exhale the smoke slowly and smoothly, feeling its effects on your body and mind. If desired, repeat steps 4-6 until you are satisfied.
How to use a glass bong without making too much noise or smell
Using a glass bong can be noisy and smelly for several reasons:
- The bubbling sound of the water can be loud and noticeable, especially if you inhale too hard or fast.
- The burning smell of the herb or tobacco can linger in the air and on your clothes, hair, and skin, attracting unwanted attention or complaints from others.
- The coughing sound of your lungs can be annoying and embarrassing, especially if you inhale too much smoke or if the smoke is too harsh.
To avoid these problems, here are some tips and tricks you can try:
- Use less water or ice in your bong. This will reduce the bubbling sound and the amount of smoke that passes through the water, making it less harsh and smelly. However, be careful not to use too little water or ice, as this can make the smoke too hot and dry, irritating your throat and lungs.
- Use a sploof or a smoke buddy. A sploof is a homemade device that filters the smoke through a dryer sheet or activated charcoal, masking the smell and reducing the amount of smoke that escapes into the air. A smoke buddy is a commercial version of a sploof that you can buy online or in some headshops. To use either device, simply exhale the smoke through it instead of into the air.
- Use a fan or an air purifier. A fan can help disperse the smoke and the smell, while an air purifier can help eliminate them. You can also open a window or a door to let some fresh air in and some smoke out.
- Use a towel or a blanket. You can cover the bowl with a towel or a blanket when you are not smoking, to prevent the smoke from escaping and smelling up the room. You can also cover the mouthpiece with a towel or a blanket when you are smoking, to muffle the sound of your inhaling and exhaling.
- Use smaller hits and breathe slowly. You can reduce the noise and smell of your smoking by taking smaller hits and breathing slowly and gently. This will also help you avoid coughing and wasting smoke.
A glass bong is a great way to enjoy your herb or tobacco, but it can also be noisy and smelly if you are not careful or considerate of your surroundings. By following these tips and tricks, you can use your glass bong discreetly and respectfully, without compromising on the quality of your smoking experience. Happy smoking!