A glass bong is a device that allows you to smoke herb or tobacco through water filtration, resulting in a smoother and cooler hit. Glass bongs are popular among smokers because they are durable, easy to clean, and come in various shapes and sizes. However, glass bongs can also be expensive and hard to find, especially if you live in an area where they are illegal or frowned upon. Fortunately, you can make your own glass bong at home using some cheap, basic supplies and a little bit of creativity. In this blog post, we will show you how to make a glass bong in 8 simple steps, as well as what materials and tools you will need.
Materials and tools
To make a glass bong at home, you will need the following materials and tools:
- A piece of glass tubing, about 12 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. You can find glass tubing online or at a local hardware store.
- A glass bottle, preferably with a wide base and a narrow neck. You can use any kind of glass bottle, such as a wine bottle, a beer bottle, or a soda bottle.
- A propane torch, which is used to heat and shape the glass. You can buy a propane torch online or at a local hardware store.
- A drill with a 3/4 inch diamond drill bit, which is used to make a hole in the bottle for the downstem. You can also use a regular drill bit, but it might take longer and be more prone to cracking the glass.
- A rubber grommet, which is used to seal the hole in the bottle and hold the downstem in place. You can find rubber grommets online or at a local hardware store.
- A bowl and a screen, which are used to hold the herb or tobacco and prevent it from falling into the water. You can use any kind of bowl and screen that fit your downstem, such as a metal or glass bowl and a metal or brass screen.
- Water, which is used to fill the bottle and filter the smoke.
Now that you have all the materials and tools ready, you can follow these steps to make your glass bong:
- Cut the glass tubing to the desired length. The length will depend on the size of the bong you want to create. A good rule of thumb is to make the downstem about 4 inches long and the mouthpiece about 8 inches long. You can use a glass cutter or a hacksaw to cut the tubing.
- Heat the end of the glass tubing with the propane torch. Hold the tubing horizontally and rotate it slowly over the flame until it becomes soft and pliable. Be careful not to overheat or burn the glass.
- Bend the heated end of the tubing into an L-shape. This will form the downstem and the joint for the bowl. Use pliers or tongs to bend the tubing while it is still hot and soft. Make sure that the angle is about 90 degrees and that the joint is wide enough to fit your bowl.
- Let the tubing cool down completely before handling it. The glass will harden as it cools down and become brittle again. Do not touch or move the tubing until it is cold to avoid breaking it.
- Drill a hole in the bottle for the downstem. Find a spot on the bottle where the surface is relatively flat, somewhere on the upper curve of the body. Place the grommet there and use it to trace a circle with a marker. Then, use your drill with the diamond drill bit to make a hole along the marked circle. Be sure to use a battery powered drill, as you will be running water over the drilling area. To keep the glass cool and prevent it from breaking, turn on the faucet and hold the bottle so that water runs over the spot you are drilling.
- Insert the downstem into the hole in the bottle. Push the open end of the downstem through the hole at an angle so that it is submerged in water when you fill up the bottle later. Then, insert
the grommet into the hole around
the downstem to seal it and hold it in place.
Make sure that the bowl is secure and that there are no gaps or leaks.
- Fill up the bottle with water. Pour water into the bottle through the mouthpiece until it covers the end of the downstem. You can adjust the water level according to your preference, but a good rule of thumb is to have about 1 inch of water above the downstem. Do not overfill the bottle or the water will splash into your mouth when you smoke.
Congratulations, you have made your own glass bong!
To use your glass bong, simply pack some herb or tobacco into the bowl, light it with a lighter, and inhale through the mouthpiece. Remember to cover the carb (the hole you made at the top of the bottle) with your finger at first and then let go of it when you are ready to clear the smoke. Enjoy your homemade glass bong and be proud of your craftsmanship!
Code block example
Here is an example of how to use a code block to display formatted content, such as a recipe for making herb butter:
Ingredients: - 1/4 cup of unsalted butter - 1/4 ounce of finely ground herb or tobacco - Cheesecloth - Saucepan - Glass jar
1) Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
2) Add the herb or tobacco and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth into a glass jar, squeezing out as much liquid as possible.
4) Refrigerate the jar until the butter solidifies.
5) Enjoy your herb butter on toast, crackers, or baked goods.