If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin the taste of your smoke, harbor mold and bacteria, and even pose a health risk. Fortunately, cleaning a bong is not too difficult, and you can do it with some simple household items: hot water and salt.
In this blog post, we will show you how to clean a bong with hot water and salt in a few easy steps. You will also learn why this method works, how often you should clean your bong, and some tips to prevent resin build-up and stains.
Why Hot Water and Salt?
Hot water and salt are effective for cleaning a bong because they act as a solvent and an abrasive, respectively. The hot water helps to loosen the sticky resin that accumulates on the glass walls of the bong, while the salt acts as a scrubber that removes the stubborn particles. Together, they can dissolve and dislodge the resin without damaging the glass or leaving any residue.
Some people also add rubbing alcohol, vinegar, or dish soap to their cleaning solution, but these are not necessary if you use hot water and salt. However, if your bong is very dirty or has hard water stains, you may want to use one of these additives to boost the cleaning power.
How to Clean a Bong with Hot Water and Salt
To clean your bong with hot water and salt, follow these steps:
- Empty the bong and rinse it out well with warm water. Remove all of the parts you can, including the pipe and the mouthpiece.
- Fill the bong halfway with hot water. The water should be hot but not boiling, as boiling water can crack the glass.
- Pour three or more tablespoons of salt into the bong via the mouthpiece. The coarser the salt, the better. You can use table salt, kosher salt, Epsom salt, rock salt, or Himalayan salt.
- Plug the holes of the bong with your hands, fingers, or thumbs. You can also use rubber stoppers or corks if you have them.
- Shake the bong vigorously for about five minutes. The salt will act as a scouring agent that will scrape off the resin from the glass walls. You may hear some crunching sounds as the salt works its magic.
- Empty the dirty water and salt into a sink or a trash can. Rinse the bong thoroughly with warm water until no traces of salt or resin remain.
- Repeat steps 2 to 6 if necessary until your bong is sparkling clean.
How to Clean the Pipe and Mouthpiece
The pipe and mouthpiece of your bong also need to be cleaned regularly, as they can harbor germs and bacteria that can affect your health and smoking experience. To clean them with hot water and salt, follow these steps:
- Remove the pipe and mouthpiece from the bong.
- Place them in a sandwich bag or a small container with a lid.
- Add enough hot water to submerge them completely.
- Add about two tablespoons of salt to the bag or container.
- Seal the bag or container and shake it vigorously for about five minutes.
- Empty the dirty water and salt into a sink or a trash can. Rinse the pipe and mouthpiece thoroughly with warm water until no traces of salt or resin remain.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 if necessary until your pipe and mouthpiece are sparkling clean.
How Often Should You Clean Your Bong?
The frequency of cleaning your bong depends on how often you use it and how dirty it gets. However, as a general rule of thumb, you should clean your bong at least once a week to ensure optimal performance and hygiene. You should also change the water in your bong after every smoke session to avoid inhaling mold and bacteria that can grow in stagnant water.
Tips to Prevent Resin Build-Up and Stains
Cleaning your bong regularly is important, but you can also take some preventive measures to reduce resin build-up and stains on your glassware. Here are some tips:
- Use filtered water instead of tap water to fill your bong. Filtered water has fewer minerals and impurities that can cause hard water stains and discoloration.
- Use ice cubes or cold water to cool down your smoke. Hot smoke can cause more resin to stick to the glass walls of your bong.
- Use a screen or a filter to catch the ash and debris from your herb or tobacco. This will prevent them from clogging the pipe and the water chamber of your bong.
- Store your bong in a cool, dry, and dark place when not in use. Exposure to heat, moisture, and sunlight can degrade the quality of your glass and make it more prone to staining.
Cleaning your bong with hot water and salt is a simple, cheap, and effective way to keep it in good shape and enjoy a smooth and flavorful smoke. By following the steps above, you can easily clean your bong in minutes and make it look like new. You can also use some preventive tips to reduce resin build-up and stains on your glassware. Remember to clean your bong regularly and change the water often to ensure optimal performance and hygiene.