A glass bong is a device that allows you to smoke your favorite herb or tobacco through water filtration, resulting in a smoother, cooler, and more flavorful experience. Glass bongs are popular among stoners and tokers for their durability, variety, and quality. However, using a glass bong also comes with some responsibilities and challenges that you should be aware of before you light up. Here are some tips on how to enjoy your glass bong safely and legally.
Choose the right glass bong for you
There are many types and styles of glass bongs available on the market, from simple beaker bongs to elaborate recyclers with percolators. The type of glass bong you choose depends on your personal preference, budget, and smoking needs. Some factors to consider when choosing a glass bong are:
- The size and shape of the bong. Do you want a small and portable bong that you can easily carry around, or a large and stable bong that you can use at home? Do you prefer a straight tube or a beaker base for more water capacity and stability? Do you like a simple or a complex design with multiple chambers and features?
- The joint size and gender of the bong. Glass bongs come in 10mm, 14mm, or 18mm joint sizes, which determine the size of the bowl or nail that you can use with the bong. Glass joints can also be either male or female, which means they either fit inside or outside another piece. Make sure you choose a compatible joint size and gender for your bong and accessories.
- The type and number of percolators in the bong. Percolators are devices that create bubbles and diffuse the smoke in the water, cooling it down and filtering out impurities. There are many types of percolators, such as tree, showerhead, honeycomb, turbine, etc., each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Some bongs have multiple percolators for extra diffusion and smoothness, while others have none for simplicity and easy cleaning.
- The material and quality of the glass. Glass bongs are usually made with quality borosilicate glass, which is heat-resistant, transparent, and durable. However, not all glass is created equal, and some cheap glass bongs may break easily or contain impurities that can affect your health. Look for reputable brands and sellers that offer high-quality glass bongs that are safe to use.
Clean your glass bong regularly
One of the most important things to do when using a glass bong is to keep it clean. A dirty glass bong can ruin your smoking experience by affecting the taste, smell, and appearance of your smoke. It can also harbor bacteria, mold, and toxins that can harm your health. To clean your glass bong, you will need some basic supplies, such as:
- Isopropyl alcohol (at least 90% strength)
- Salt (coarse or fine)
- Ziplock bags (large enough to fit your bowl or nail)
- Paper towels or cotton swabs
- Pipe cleaners or brushes (optional)
The steps to clean your glass bong are:
- Disassemble your glass bong by removing the bowl or nail, the downstem (if removable), and any other accessories.
- Rinse your glass bong with hot water to remove any loose residue.
- Pour some alcohol and salt into the main chamber of your glass bong. The alcohol will dissolve the sticky resin, while the salt will act as an abrasive to scrub away the dirt.
- Cover the openings of your glass bong with your hands or plastic wrap and shake it vigorously for several minutes. You should see the water turn brown as the alcohol and salt do their work.
- Repeat step 4 until the water is clear.
- Pour out the dirty water and rinse your glass bong with hot water again.
- Place your bowl or nail in a ziplock bag with some alcohol and salt and shake it until it is clean.
- Rinse your bowl or nail with hot water and dry it with a paper towel or cotton swab.
- Clean your downstem and any other accessories with alcohol, salt, and pipe cleaners or brushes if needed.
- Rinse and dry your downstem and accessories.
- Reassemble your glass bong and enjoy!
You should clean your glass bong at least once a week, or more often if you use it frequently. You can also use some preventive measures to keep your glass bong cleaner for longer, such as:
- Using filtered water to fill your glass bong, as tap water may contain minerals and chemicals that can leave stains and deposits.
- Changing the water in your glass bong after every session, as stale water can breed bacteria and mold.
- Using screens or filters to prevent ash and herb particles from entering your glass bong.
- Using a glass bong cleaner or a natural alternative, such as vinegar or lemon juice, to remove any odors or stains.
Use your glass bong safely and legally
A glass bong is a great way to enjoy your herb or tobacco, but it also comes with some risks and responsibilities that you should be aware of. Here are some tips on how to use your glass bong safely and legally:
- Be careful with the heat. Glass bongs can get very hot when you light them, especially the bowl or nail. Use a lighter or a torch that is designed for smoking, and avoid touching the hot parts of your glass bong. Wait for your glass bong to cool down before handling it or cleaning it.
- Be careful with the breakage. Glass bongs are durable, but they can still break if you drop them, knock them over, or expose them to sudden temperature changes. Store your glass bong in a safe place when not in use, and use a padded case or bag when transporting it. If your glass bong breaks, dispose of the shards carefully and replace it with a new one.
- Be careful with the smoke. Glass bongs produce a lot of smoke, which can be harsh on your lungs and throat. To reduce the impact of the smoke, you can use ice cubes or cold water in your glass bong to cool it down further, inhale slowly and gently, and exhale fully. You can also use a carbon filter or an ash catcher to remove some of the tar and toxins from the smoke.
- Be careful with the dosage. Glass bongs can deliver potent hits that can get you high quickly. To avoid overdoing it, start with small amounts of herb or tobacco, take breaks between hits, and monitor your tolerance and effects