A glass bong is a device that allows you to smoke herb or tobacco through water filtration, which cools and smooths the smoke. Glass bongs are popular among smokers because they are durable, easy to clean, and come in various shapes and sizes. However, glass bongs can also be expensive, especially if you want a custom-made one. Fortunately, you can make your own glass bong from scratch or using recycled materials with some creativity and basic tools. In this blog post, we will show you how to do it in 8 simple steps.
Step 1: Gather supplies
To make a glass bong, you will need the following supplies:
- A glass bottle: You can use any glass bottle that has a long neck and a wide base, such as a wine bottle, a liquor bottle, or a soda bottle. Make sure the bottle is clean and empty.
- A piece of glass tubing: You can buy this from a hardware store or an online retailer. The length of the tubing will depend on the size of your bong, but it should be at least 6 inches long and have a diameter of about 1/4 inch.
- A propane torch: You will use this to heat and bend the glass tubing. You can also use a butane torch or a lighter, but they may not be as effective.
- A working surface: You will need a flat and heat-resistant surface to work on, such as a metal tray, a ceramic tile, or a wooden board.
- A grommet or a cork: You will use this to seal the hole in the bottle where you insert the glass tubing. The grommet or cork should have an outer diameter of about 3/4 inch and an inner diameter of about 1/4 inch.
- A stem or tube: You will use this to connect the glass tubing to the bowl. The stem or tube can be made of metal, plastic, or glass, and it should have a diameter of about 1/4 inch.
- A bowl: You will use this to hold the herb or tobacco that you want to smoke. The bowl can be made of metal, ceramic, or glass, and it should have a diameter of about 1/2 inch.
Step 2: Clean the bottle
Before you start drilling the bottle, you need to make sure it is clean and dry. Rinse the bottle with warm water and soap, and remove any labels or stickers that may be on it. You can also soak the bottle in hot water for a few minutes to loosen any glue or residue. Then, dry the bottle thoroughly with a towel or a paper towel.
Step 3: Drill a hole in the bottle
Next, you need to drill a hole in the bottle where you want to insert the glass tubing. This is the most challenging part of making a glass bong, so be careful and patient. Here are some tips to help you drill the hole successfully:
- Use a 3/4 inch diamond drill bit: This is the best type of drill bit for drilling through glass, as it has tiny diamonds on the tip that cut through the material smoothly. You can find this drill bit online or at some hardware stores.
- Mark a spot to drill: Find a spot on the bottle where the surface is relatively flat and not too curved. This will make it easier to drill and seal the hole later. Use a sharpie or a marker to trace a circle on the spot using the grommet or cork as a guide.
- Prepare your tools: Attach the diamond drill bit to your drill and make sure it is secure. Use a battery-powered drill, as you will be running water over the drilling area. Put on safety goggles to protect your eyes from flying glass shards.
- Get a steady stream of water over the drill spot: To keep the glass cool and prevent it from cracking or shattering, you need to run water over the spot where you are drilling. Turn on the faucet and adjust it so that you have more than just a trickle but not such a heavy stream that you can’t see what you’re doing. Hold the bottle under the water so that it runs over the marked spot.
- Start drilling slowly: Set your drill to 3/4 of its max speed and gently push it against the marked spot. Do not apply too much pressure or force, as this can cause the glass to break. Let the drill bit do the work and slowly grind through the glass. You may hear some cracking or popping sounds, but this is normal. It may take several minutes to drill through the glass, so be patient and keep the water running.
- Stop drilling when you feel a pop: When you feel a sudden pop or release of pressure, it means you have drilled through the glass. Stop drilling immediately and pull the drill bit out of the hole. Rinse the bottle and the drill bit with water to remove any glass dust or debris.
Step 4: Insert the grommet or cork into the hole
Now that you have drilled a hole in the bottle, you need to insert the grommet or cork into it to seal it and prevent any air leaks. The grommet or cork should fit snugly into the hole, but not too tightly that it cracks the glass. You may need to trim or sand the grommet or cork to make it fit better. You can also lubricate it with some water or oil to make it slide in easier.
Step 5: Insert the stem or tube into the grommet or cork
Next, you need to insert the stem or tube into the grommet or cork that is in the hole. The stem or tube should also fit snugly into the grommet or cork, but not too tightly that it pushes it out of the hole. You may need to trim or sand the stem or tube to make it fit better. You can also lubricate it with some water or oil to make it slide in easier.
Step 6: Add the bowl to the end of the stem or tube
Next, you need to add the bowl to the end of the stem or tube that is sticking out of the bottle. The bowl should screw onto the stem or tube securely, but not too tightly that it damages it. You may need to use a washer or a rubber band to make the connection more stable.
Step 7: Fill the bottle with water
Next, you need to fill the bottle with water to create the filtration system. The water level should be high enough to cover the bottom end of the glass tubing, but not too high that it reaches the hole where you inserted the stem or tube. You can use tap water, filtered water, or even flavored water if you want to enhance your smoking experience.
Step 8: Test your bong
Congratulations! You have just made your own glass bong from scratch or using recycled materials. Now it’s time to test it and enjoy your smoke. Here are some tips to help you use your bong properly:
- Pack your bowl: Grind some herb or tobacco and pack it loosely into your bowl. Do not overfill or pack it too tightly, as this can restrict airflow and cause combustion.
- Light your bowl: Hold a lighter over your bowl and ignite your herb or tobacco. As you do this, inhale gently from the mouthpiece of the bottle (the neck). You should see smoke filling up inside the bottle.
- Clear your bong: When you have filled up enough smoke in your bottle, remove your finger from the carb hole (the hole where you inserted the stem or tube) and inhale sharply from the mouthpiece. This will clear all the smoke from your bong and deliver a smooth hit to your lungs.
- Clean your bong: After each use, empty and rinse your bong with warm water and soap. You can also use alcohol and salt to remove any resin buildup from your glass tubing, stem, tube, and bowl.
We hope this blog post has helped you learn how to make your own glass bong from scratch or using recycled materials. Have fun and stay safe!