If you are a fan of glass bongs, you know how important it is to get the right water level and temperature for your smoking session. The water in your bong acts as a filter and a cooler for the smoke, making it smoother and more enjoyable to inhale. However, not all water levels and temperatures are created equal. Depending on your preference, the type of herb or tobacco that you are smoking, and the design of your bong, you may need to adjust the water level and temperature to achieve the optimal hit. Here are some tips on how to measure and adjust the water level and temperature in your glass bong for optimal filtration and cooling.
How to measure the water level in your glass bong
The water level in your glass bong plays a significant role in how your bong functions. The water level affects the amount of filtration, the temperature, and the drag of the smoke. Getting the optimal water level means getting the most of your bong.
To measure the water level in your glass bong, you can use a ruler or a tape measure. Alternatively, you can use bubbles as an indicator. When you blow air through the downstem, you should see bubbles forming in the water. The bubbles should be small and consistent, not large and sporadic.
There are three types of water levels and their effects on how your bong functions:
- Overfilling: The water level goes over the downstem almost up to the neck. This is good for those who are after huge amounts of filtration. The great amount of water lowers smoke temperature, giving you a hit that is cool and smooth to the throat and lungs. Downside is that you have to put much effort to pull in the smoke. There’s also a greater chance of you getting bong water in each pull.
- Underfilling: The water level barely covers the slits or gills of the downstem. What this does is that you get more flavor with each drag. Reason is, there is not enough water to filter the smoke going through the stem. Others say this negates the use of the bong since you’re just getting smoke like you would a pipe. This leads to low filtration, which can increase the chance of irritation in your throat and lungs.
- Optimal: The gills or slits are covered just right. You get to enjoy both filtration and flavor. You enjoy the taste of your herb or tobacco because it’s not filtered too much. However, you still get to experience a good hit because you drag in the smoke just right.
The optimal water level may vary depending on the design of your bong and downstem. A general rule of thumb is to make sure that your downstem and its slits or gills are completely submerged in water. If your downstem has no slits or gills, submerge it about two inches above the opening for big bongs, or at least half an inch for mini bongs.
How to measure the water temperature in your glass bong
The optimal water temperature for your glass bong depends on your personal preference and the type of herb or tobacco that you are smoking. Some people like cold water for a refreshing hit, some like warm water for a soothing hit, and some like hot water for a cleansing hit.
To measure the water temperature in your glass bong, you can use a thermometer or a digital device that can read the temperature of liquids. Alternatively, you can use your hand or your mouth as an indicator. When you touch or sip the water, it should feel comfortable to you, not too cold or too hot.
There are three types of water temperatures and their effects on how your bong functions:
- Cold: Cold water produces cooler smoke, which is less irritating to the mucosa lining your mouth and respiratory tract. Cold water also preserves more flavor and potency of your herb or tobacco, as THC solidifies faster in lower temperatures. However, cold water also leaves more resin behind on your bong, which can make it harder to clean.
- Warm: Warm water produces warmer smoke, which is more soothing and relaxing to the throat and lungs. Warm water also enhances the aroma and taste of your herb or tobacco, as it releases more terpenes and cannabinoids into the smoke. However, warm water also filters out more THC from the smoke, which can reduce its effects.
- Hot: Hot water produces steamy smoke, which is more cleansing and hydrating to the respiratory system. Hot water also kills more bacteria and germs in the smoke, making it safer and healthier to inhale. However, hot water also burns more of your herb or tobacco, which can waste your product and create harsher smoke.
The optimal water temperature may vary depending on the quality and quantity of your herb or tobacco, the size and shape of your bong, and the weather and environment that you are smoking in. A general rule of thumb is to use cold water for small bongs and low-quality herb or tobacco, warm water for medium bongs and medium-quality herb or tobacco, and hot water for large bongs and high-quality herb or tobacco.
How to adjust the water level and temperature in your glass bong
Once you have measured the water level and temperature in your glass bong, you may want to adjust them to suit your preferences and needs. Here are some tips on how to adjust the water level and temperature in your glass bong:
- To increase the water level, simply add more water to your bong until it reaches the desired level. To decrease the water level, tilt your bong over a sink or a bucket and pour out some water until it reaches the desired level.
- To increase the water temperature, you can either heat up some water in a kettle or a microwave and add it to your bong, or place your bong in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes. To decrease the water temperature, you can either add some ice cubes or cold water to your bong, or place your bong in a bowl of ice water for a few minutes.
- To maintain the water level and temperature in your bong, you should change the water regularly, preferably before each session. This will prevent the water from getting dirty, stale, or contaminated with bacteria and germs. You should also clean your bong thoroughly after each session, using alcohol, salt, or other cleaning products.
By following these tips, you can measure and adjust the water level and temperature in your glass bong for optimal filtration and cooling. Experiment with different levels and temperatures until you find the one that works best for you. Enjoy your smooth and satisfying hits!