A bong is a pipe used to smoke dry herb that uses water to cool and filter the smoke. When you hit a bong, the smoke is pulled through a water-filled chamber. Then as the smoke bubbles up through the liquid, the water simultaneously cools down the temperature of the smoke and pulls out fine particulate matter such as tar and ash.
Bongs are simple but sophisticated devices that come in various shapes, sizes and materials. They have several parts that work together, but knowing a bit about how they work together will hopefully help you get the most out of your bong experience.
What You Need to Smoke a Bong
- A bong
- Herb or tobacco
- A grinder (you can also use your fingers or scissors)
- Lighter or hemp wick
How to Use a Bong: Step by Step Instructions
- Prep your bong. Pour water into the mouthpiece until the waterline is above the base of the stem but below the bowl. You can also put ice cubes in the water if you’d like. The water should always be higher than the downstem.
- Grind your herb or tobacco. Take a small amount of herb or tobacco, grind or break it up and fill the bowl, without packing it too tightly.
- Place your lips inside the mouthpiece. Place your mouth inside the mouthpiece, creating a tight seal. When placing your mouth on the inhale hole, place your lips inside, not over, the hole. Purse them slightly and force them gently into the hole so that the outside of your lips creates an airtight seal.
- Use a lighter or hemp wick. Hold a flame over the bowl and inhale strongly, and steadily. Using a lighter can result in low levels of butane inhalation, which is non-toxic but may present health problems in large quantities. Using a hemp wick can avoid this issue and also provide a smoother and tastier hit.
- Start inhaling. When the chamber starts to fill with smoke, pull out the bowl or take your finger off the carb (if your bong has one) and inhale forcefully, clearing the smoke into your lungs.
- Exhale. Exhale, and if desired, repeat steps 3-5.
- Clean your bong. It’s not a must every time you use the bong, but make sure to keep it clean and change the water regularly. A dirty bong can harbor bacteria, mold and residue that can affect the flavor and quality of your smoke. You can use rubbing alcohol, salt and hot water to clean your bong thoroughly.
Why Use a Bong?
Bongs have some advantages over other smoking methods, such as:
- Bongs produce smoother and cooler hits than joints, blunts or pipes.
- Bongs filter out some of the harmful substances in smoke, such as tar and ash.
- Bongs conserve more herb or tobacco than joints or blunts, as they burn more efficiently.
- Bongs offer a more potent experience than joints or blunts, as they deliver larger hits of smoke with higher concentrations of cannabinoids.
However, bongs also have some drawbacks, such as:
- Bongs are not very discreet or portable, as they are usually large, fragile and require water.
- Bongs can be hard to clean and maintain, especially if they have complex designs or features.
- Bongs can still produce harmful smoke that can irritate your lungs and throat, especially if you use too much herb or tobacco, or inhale too deeply or frequently.
Bongs are a popular and enjoyable way to smoke herb or tobacco, as they provide smooth, cool and filtered hits that can be more potent and efficient than other methods. However, they also require some preparation, maintenance and caution, as they can be bulky, breakable and harmful if used improperly. If you want to try a bong, make sure you have the right equipment, follow the steps above and enjoy responsibly.
|How to Use a Water Bong (with Pictures) – wikiHow. (2023). Retrieved from https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Water-Bong
|How to Use a Bong: Step-By-Step Instructions | The Cannigma. (2022). Retrieved from https://cannigma.com/delivery/how-to-use-a-bong-step-by-step-instructions/
|How to Use a Bong: Everything You Need to Know – VICE. (2023). Retrieved from https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjk797/how-to-buy-and-use-a-bong-vice-guide
|How to Use a Bong: The Complete Guide for Beginners. (2022). Retrieved from https://www.womendailymagazine.com/how-to-use-a-bong-the-complete-guide-for-beginners/
|How to use a water pipe | Cannabox. (2023). Retrieved from https://www.cannabox.com/blog/how-to-use-a-bong/