A glass bong is a water-filtration device that can produce smooth, clean, and potent hits of smoke from your favorite herb or tobacco. However, using a glass bong can also be noisy and smelly, which can be a problem if you want to be discreet or respectful of your neighbors. Fortunately, there are some tips and tricks that can help you enjoy your glass bong without making too much noise or smell. Here are some of them:
Choose the right glass bong
Not all glass bongs are created equal. Some are simple and functional, others are artistic and intricate. The shape, size, and design of your glass bong can affect how much noise and smell it produces. Here are some factors to consider when choosing a glass bong:
- Material: Glass is the most common material for bongs, as it is durable, easy to clean, and transparent. However, glass can also be fragile and breakable, so you need to handle it with care. Glass can also make a loud clinking sound when you put it down or tap it. To avoid this, you can use a silicone or rubber mat to cushion your glass bong.
- Size: The size of your glass bong can affect how much smoke it can hold and how loud it can be. Larger bongs can produce bigger hits, but they can also be louder and harder to conceal. Smaller bongs can be more discreet and quiet, but they can also produce harsher hits and less smoke. A medium-sized bong can be a good compromise between potency and stealth.
- Shape: The shape of your glass bong can affect how the smoke travels and cools down. Straight tubes are simple and easy to use, but they can also produce hot and harsh smoke. Beaker-shaped bongs have more water volume and surface area, which can help cool down the smoke and filter out more impurities. Bubblers are small and portable, but they can also splash water and make noise. Percolators are additional chambers that diffuse the smoke through water, creating bubbles and smoother hits. However, percolators can also make more noise and require more cleaning.
- Bowl: The bowl is where you pack your herb or tobacco. The size and shape of the bowl can affect how much you can load and how evenly it burns. A smaller bowl can help you conserve your herb or tobacco and reduce the smell, but it can also clog faster and require more frequent refills. A larger bowl can hold more herb or tobacco and produce more smoke, but it can also waste some of it and create more smell.
- Downstem: The downstem is the tube that connects the bowl to the water chamber. The length and diameter of the downstem can affect how much air flow and water filtration you get. A longer downstem can help cool down the smoke more, but it can also make it harder to clear the bong. A wider downstem can allow more air flow and easier draws, but it can also reduce the water filtration and make more noise.
- Mouthpiece: The mouthpiece is where you inhale the smoke from the bong. The size and shape of the mouthpiece can affect how comfortable and easy it is to use. A smaller mouthpiece can create a tighter seal and prevent air leaks, but it can also restrict your inhalation and make you cough more. A larger mouthpiece can allow more air flow and smoother hits, but it can also let out more smoke and smell.
Prep your glass bong
Before using your glass bong, you need to make sure it is clean and ready to go. Here are some steps to follow:
- Pour water into the mouthpiece until the waterline is above the base of the downstem but below the bowl. You don’t need any more water than that, as it could splash or spill over.
- If you want to make your hits smoother and cooler, you can add some ice cubes to the water or use cold water instead of room temperature.
- If you want to reduce the smell of your herb or tobacco, you can add some drops of essential oil or lemon juice to the water. This will give your smoke a pleasant aroma and mask some of the odor.
- Grind your herb or tobacco using a grinder or your fingers. This will help it burn more evenly and efficiently.
- Pack the bowl with a small amount of herb or tobacco, without packing it too tightly. This will help you conserve your herb or tobacco and reduce the smell, as well as prevent clogging and airflow issues.
Use your glass bong
Now that your glass bong is ready, you can start using it. Here are some steps to follow:
- Place your mouth inside the mouthpiece, creating a tight seal. Hold the bong with one hand and a lighter or hemp wick with the other.
- Hold a flame over the bowl and inhale slowly and steadily. Using a lighter can result in low levels of butane inhalation, which is non-toxic but may present health problems in large quantities. Using a hemp wick can avoid this issue and also preserve the flavor of your herb or tobacco.
- As you inhale, the smoke will travel through the downstem and bubble up through the water, cooling down and filtering out some of the impurities.
- When the chamber is full of milky-white smoke, pull out the bowl or take your finger off the carb and inhale the rest of the smoke from the chamber. This will clear the bong and deliver a potent hit to your lungs.
- Exhale slowly and gently, preferably through a window or a fan. This will help disperse the smoke and reduce the smell.
- If desired, repeat steps 1-5 until you are satisfied.
Clean your glass bong
After using your glass bong, you need to clean it and store it properly. This will help prolong its lifespan and maintain its performance. Here are some steps to follow:
- Dump out the water from the bong and rinse it with hot water. This will remove some of the residue and odor from the bong.
- If your bong is very dirty or has hard-to-reach spots, you can use a cleaning solution to deep-clean it. You can either use a commercial product designed for bongs or make your own using rubbing alcohol and coarse salt.
- Pour some cleaning solution into the bong and shake it vigorously. You can also use some plugs to seal the holes in your bong and prevent leaks.
- Use some pipe cleaners or brushes to scrub the inside of the bong, especially the bowl, downstem, and mouthpiece. This will help loosen up any stubborn stains or deposits.
- Rinse the bong again with hot water until all traces of the cleaning solution are gone.
- Dry the bong with a towel or let it air-dry completely before storing it.
- Store your bong in a cool, dry, and dark place, away from direct sunlight or heat sources. This will prevent damage or discoloration to your glass bong.
A glass bong is a great way to enjoy your herb or tobacco, as it can produce smooth, clean, and potent hits of smoke. However, using a glass bong can also be noisy and smelly, which can be a problem if you want to be discreet or respectful of your neighbors. By following these tips and tricks, you can use your glass bong without making too much noise or smell:
- Choose the right glass bong for your needs and preferences.
- Prep your glass bong by filling it with water, grinding your herb or tobacco, and packing the bowl.
- Use your glass bong by lighting the bowl, inhaling slowly, clearing the chamber, and exhaling gently.
- Clean your glass bong by dumping out the water, rinsing it with hot water, using a cleaning solution if needed, drying it completely, and storing it properly.
We hope this blog post has been helpful and informative for you. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Happy smoking!