If you are looking for a way to make your smoking experience more enjoyable, you might have heard of using ice in a glass bong. Ice bongs are water pipes that have an ice catcher or ice notches that can hold and suspend ice cubes in the neck of the bong. The idea is to cool down the smoke before it reaches your mouth and lungs, making it smoother and less harsh. But is this a good idea? What are the pros and cons of using ice in a glass bong? Let’s find out.
The advantages of using ice in a glass bong
Using ice in a glass bong can have some benefits, such as:
- Cooling down the smoke. When hot smoke passes through the neck of a bong, it comes in contact with the ice cubes, which lower its temperature and make it more comfortable to inhale. This can also reduce the coughing and irritation that some people experience from smoking.
- Adding an additional layer of filtration. Smoking with a water pipe such as a bong already provides some filtration, as the water traps some of the tar and ash from the combustion process. Adding ice may further filter the smoke, as some of the harmful particles may condense on the surface of the ice and stay there instead of entering your lungs.
- Enhancing the flavor and aroma of your herb or tobacco. Some people claim that using ice in a glass bong improves the taste and smell of their smoke, as it preserves more of the terpenes and other compounds that give it its unique characteristics. This may depend on the quality and type of your herb or tobacco, as well as your personal preference.
The disadvantages of using ice in a glass bong
Using ice in a glass bong can also have some drawbacks, such as:
- Potentially increasing the risk of bronchitis. While there is no conclusive evidence to support this, some people report that using ice in a glass bong can cause or worsen bronchitis, which is an inflammation of the airways that can lead to coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. This may be because the cold smoke can irritate the mucous membranes and cause more mucus production, which can trap bacteria and viruses and cause infection. It may also be because using ice in a glass bong can make you take larger and deeper hits, which can expose you to more smoke and carcinogens.
- Potentially causing lung infections. There have been rare cases of lung infections after regular bong use, which may be related to the bacteria and fungi that can grow in the bong water or on the ice cubes. These microorganisms can enter your lungs when you inhale the smoke and cause pneumonia or other serious conditions. To prevent this, you should always use clean water and ice in your glass bong, and clean it regularly with alcohol or boiling water.
- Making your bong sweat. When you use ice in a glass bong, you may notice that condensation forms on the outside of the bong, making it wet and slippery. This can be annoying and messy, especially if you don’t use a coaster or a towel to catch the drips. It can also make your bong more prone to breaking if you drop it or knock it over.
How to use ice in a glass bong
If you want to try using ice in a glass bong, here are some tips to follow:
- Choose a glass bong that has an ice catcher or ice notches. These are pinched glass formations inside the body of the bong that hold the ice above the water chamber. They prevent the ice from falling into the water and blocking the airflow when smoking. They also provide an ergonomic grip and an aesthetic look for your bong.
- Add clean water to your glass bong until it covers the bottom of the downstem. The downstem is the tube that connects the bowl where you put your herb or tobacco to the water chamber. The water should not be too high or too low, as this can affect the performance and smoothness of your hits.
- Add clean ice cubes to your glass bong carefully. You should not just throw them in, as they can break the glass ice catcher or damage your bong. The better and safer way is to incline the bong slightly and slowly put the ice cubes in one by one. You can fill the neck of the bong with ice, or just add a few cubes depending on your preference.
- Light up your herb or tobacco and enjoy your cool and smooth hits. You may notice that the ice melts gradually as you smoke, which can change the water level and the temperature of the smoke. You can adjust the amount of ice and water as you go along, or replace them if they get too dirty or warm.
Using ice in a glass bong can be a great way to enhance your smoking experience, as it can cool down the smoke, filter it, and improve its flavor and aroma. However, it can also have some drawbacks, such as potentially causing bronchitis, lung infections, or making your bong sweat. To use ice in a glass bong safely and effectively, you should choose a glass bong with an ice catcher or ice notches, use clean water and ice, and clean your bong regularly. You should also be mindful of how much and how often you smoke, as smoking with any method can have negative effects on your health.
- The Ice Bong Debate: Should We be Putting Ice in a Bong? – Smokephisticated
- Should You Really Put Ice in Your Bong? | The Cannigma
- Ice bongs, Ice Catcher Bongs | Bongin.com
- Ice Bongs | Bongs With Ice Catchers | Toker Supply
- Should You Put Ice Cubes in Your Bong? (And Why Do People Do It?)