A glass bong is a device that is used to smoke herbs or tobacco by filtering the smoke through water. Glass bongs are popular among smokers who enjoy the smooth and cool sensation they provide. However, owning a glass bong can expose you to some legal risks, especially if you use it for smoking cannabis or other illegal substances. Here are some of the possible scenarios that can get you into trouble with the law:
- Being stopped by the police: A glass bong can get you into trouble with the law, and that’s why the best move is to make it as inconspicuous as possible. Pack it in a backpack or bag if you’re walking somewhere, and store it in your trunk if you’re driving. Although a glass bong on its own isn’t necessarily illegal, it can draw attention that you don’t want. A police officer could still decide to stop you and question you about it, and if they find any traces of cannabis or other illegal substances on your glass bong, they could charge you with possession of drug paraphernalia or even possession of drugs.(https://www.nycdivorcelawyers.com/glass-bongs-illegal-carry-can-get-arrested/)
- Selling glass bongs online: Although selling glass pipes and bongs can be controversial, they are not completely illegal. So as a merchant, you will want to work with a “high-risk” merchant service provider that can handle the challenges of this industry. However, you still need to comply with federal and state laws that prohibit drug use and accessories that are related to it. You also need to be careful about how you market your products and avoid making any claims that imply they are intended for illegal purposes. For example, you should not use words like “cannabis”, “weed”, “pot”, or “marijuana” in your product descriptions or website content. Instead, use terms like “herbs”, “tobacco”, “smoking accessories”, or “glass art”.(https://paymentcloudinc.com/blog/sell-bongs-online/)
- Traveling with a glass bong: If you plan to travel with your glass bong, you need to be aware of the laws and regulations of your destination country or state. Some countries have very strict laws against drug paraphernalia and may confiscate your glass bong or even arrest you if they find it in your luggage or carry-on. For example, in Singapore, possessing a glass bong can result in up to three years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000 SGD.(https://www.onesixtyglass.com/2023/07/14/what-are-the-legal-risks-of-owning-a-glass-bong-in-different-states-or-countries-6/) In other countries, such as Canada, where cannabis is legal for both medical and recreational purposes, glass bongs are also legal to own and use.(https://www.onesixtyglass.com/2023/07/02/what-are-the-legal-risks-of-owning-a-glass-bong-in-different-states-or-countries-2/) However, you still need to follow the rules and regulations of the airlines and airports regarding liquids and security screening.
How to avoid legal risks when owning a glass bong?
If you own a glass bong and want to avoid legal risks, there are some precautions you can take. Here are some tips:(https://www.onesixtyglass.com/2023/07/01/what-are-the-legal-risks-of-owning-a-glass-bong-in-different-states-or-countries/)
- Know the laws of your state or country regarding glass bongs and cannabis use. Do some research before buying or traveling with a glass bong and make sure you are not breaking any laws.
- Clean your glass bong regularly and remove any residue or odor that could indicate illegal use. Use rubbing alcohol, salt, vinegar, or baking soda to clean your glass bong thoroughly.
- Store your glass bong in a safe and discreet place when not in use. Keep it away from children, pets, or anyone who might report it to the authorities.
- Be respectful and responsible when using your glass bong. Do not smoke in public places, near schools, or in front of minors. Do not drive under the influence of cannabis or any other substance. Do not share your glass bong with anyone who is underage, pregnant, or has a medical condition that could be affected by smoking.
Owning a glass bong can be a great way to enjoy your herbs or tobacco, but it can also come with some legal risks. To avoid getting into trouble with the law, you need to be aware of the laws and regulations of your state or country, as well as the places you travel to. You also need to keep your glass bong clean, discreet, and safe. By following these tips, you can enjoy your glass bong without worrying about legal consequences.