If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin the taste of your smoke, harbor mold and bacteria, and pose a health risk to your lungs. Not to mention, it can also look gross and smell bad.
Fortunately, cleaning a bong is not a difficult task. You don’t need any fancy or expensive products to get your bong sparkling like new. All you need are some household items that you probably already have: hot water and salt. In this blog post, we will show you how to clean a bong with hot water and salt in a few simple steps.
Why Use Hot Water and Salt?
Hot water and salt are effective and natural cleaners that can remove the sticky resin and tar that build up on the inside of your bong over time. Hot water helps to loosen and dissolve the resin, while salt acts as an abrasive that scrubs away the stubborn stains. Salt also has antibacterial properties that can help sanitize your bong and prevent mold growth.
There are different types of salt that you can use, such as table salt, Epsom salt, rock salt, or Himalayan salt. The coarser the salt, the better, as it will have more scrubbing power. You can also add some lemon juice or vinegar to the water for extra cleaning and deodorizing effect.
How to Clean a Bong with Hot Water and Salt
There are different methods to clean a bong with hot water and salt, but they all involve some common steps: emptying the bong, rinsing it with warm water, adding a solvent and an abrasive, and shaking or swirling the bong to remove the resin. The solvent can be isopropyl alcohol, dish soap, vinegar, or a specialized bong cleaner. The abrasive can be salt, coarse salt, or lemon. Some methods also suggest presoaking the bong in warm water and dish soap, or running boiling water through the bong before adding the solvent and abrasive. The bong should be rinsed again with warm water after the cleaning process.
Here is one possible method to clean a bong with hot water and salt:
- Empty the bong and rinse it out well with warm water.
- Fill it halfway with warm water.
- Take the bong apart so you can clean the pieces. Remove all of the parts you can, including the pipe and the mouthpiece.
- Put the pipe and mouthpiece in a sandwich bag. Add some isopropyl alcohol to the bag until they are submerged. Add some hot water and salt to both the bag and the bong.
- Close the bag tightly and shake it gently to coat the pipe and mouthpiece with the solution.
- Cover the openings of the bong with your hands or some plastic wrap and rubber bands. Shake or swirl the bong vigorously to make the solution reach every corner of the glass.
- Let the pipe and mouthpiece soak in the bag for 10 minutes, and let the bong sit for another 10 minutes.
- Pour out the solution from the bag and the bong. Rinse them thoroughly with warm water until no traces of salt or alcohol remain.
- Use a pipe cleaner or a cotton swab to remove any remaining resin from the pipe, mouthpiece, or other hard-to-reach areas of the bong.
- Dry the bong and its parts with a soft cloth or paper towel.
Tips for Keeping Your Bong Clean
Cleaning your bong regularly will ensure that you get the best smoking experience possible. Here are some tips for keeping your bong clean:
- Clean your bong after every few days to a week of use. You can use hot water and salt or any other method that works for you.
- Change the water in your bong after every smoke session to avoid inhaling mold and bacteria. Fresh water will also improve the taste of your smoke.
- Avoid using tap water in your bong, as it may contain minerals or chemicals that can affect the flavor of your smoke or leave deposits on your glass. Use filtered or distilled water instead.
- Store your bong in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight or heat sources. This will prevent the water from evaporating or becoming stagnant.
- Don’t share your bong with others, especially if you or they are sick. This will prevent the spread of germs and infections.
Cleaning a bong with hot water and salt is a simple and effective way to keep your bong in good shape. By following the steps above, you can remove the resin and tar that accumulate on your glass and enjoy a smooth and flavorful smoke. You can also use other solvents and abrasives, such as vinegar, lemon, dish soap, or specialized bong cleaners, depending on your preference and availability. The most important thing is to clean your bong regularly and change the water often to prevent mold and bacteria growth. By doing so, you will prolong the life of your bong and protect your health.