If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a glass bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and unclogged. A dirty bong can ruin your smoking experience by making your hits harsher, dulling the flavor of your smoke, and exposing you to mold and bacteria. Not to mention, it looks unsightly and smells bad.
Fortunately, cleaning a glass bong is not hard or expensive. You just need some basic supplies and a few minutes of your time. In this blog post, we will show you how to prevent your glass bong from getting clogged or dirty, and how to clean it if it does.
How to Prevent Your Glass Bong from Getting Clogged or Dirty
The best way to prevent your glass bong from getting clogged or dirty is to change the water after every smoke session. This will prevent the buildup of tar and resin in the water, which can make your bong smell bad and affect the quality of your smoke. It will also reduce the risk of inhaling mold and bacteria that can grow in stagnant water.
Another way to prevent your glass bong from getting clogged or dirty is to use a screen or a filter in the bowl. This will catch any ash or plant matter that might otherwise fall into the water and clog the stem or the downstem. You can buy screens or filters at any head shop or online store, or you can make your own from household items like aluminum foil or steel wool.
A third way to prevent your glass bong from getting clogged or dirty is to avoid overpacking the bowl. If you pack too much herb or tobacco in the bowl, you might end up sucking some of it into the water, which can cause clogging and mess. A good rule of thumb is to fill the bowl no more than halfway, and tamp it down lightly with your finger or a tool.
How to Clean Your Glass Bong
Even if you follow the tips above, you will still need to clean your glass bong regularly to keep it in optimal condition. A deep cleaning once a week is recommended, but you can do it more often if you smoke a lot or if your bong gets very dirty.
To clean your glass bong, you will need:
- Isopropyl alcohol (70% or 90%)
- Coarse salt
- A resealable plastic bag
- Cotton swabs or pipe cleaners
- Warm water
Here are the steps to follow:
- Separate all the moving pieces from the bong: the bowl, the slide, and the stem.
- Rinse out the pieces in warm water to loosen up any big chunks of resin.
- Knock off any big pieces of resin with cotton swabs or pipe cleaners.
- Place the smaller pieces in a resealable plastic bag and fill it with isopropyl alcohol and salt. Make sure the pieces are fully submerged in the liquid.
- Seal the bag and shake it for a minute or two. The alcohol will dissolve the resin and the salt will act as an abrasive.
- Pour out the alcohol/salt mixture and rinse the pieces with warm water. Repeat if necessary until they are clean.
- Fill the bong with isopropyl alcohol and salt, plug the holes with your fingers or some paper towels, and shake it for a minute or two.
- Pour out the alcohol/salt mixture and rinse the bong with warm water. Repeat if necessary until it is clean.
- Let all the pieces dry completely before reassembling and using your bong.
If you don’t have isopropyl alcohol available, you can use some alternatives like vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, or commercial bong cleaners. However, these may not be as effective as alcohol and may leave some residue or odor on your bong.
Cleaning your glass bong is not only good for your health and enjoyment, but also for your bong’s longevity and appearance. By following these simple steps, you can prevent your glass bong from getting clogged or dirty, and keep it sparkling and shiny for years to come.