A glass bong is a water pipe that can be used to smoke any type of herb or tobacco, but it can also be adapted to vaporize concentrates, oils, or wax with some simple modifications. In this blog post, we will show you how to use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax in a few easy steps.
What are concentrates, oils, and wax?
Concentrates, oils, and wax are forms of cannabis extracts that have a higher concentration of cannabinoids and terpenes than the plant material. They can be made using various methods, such as solvent extraction, CO2 extraction, or rosin pressing. Concentrates, oils, and wax come in different textures and consistencies, such as shatter, crumble, budder, live resin, rosin, distillate, and more.
Concentrates, oils, and wax offer some advantages over smoking herb or tobacco, such as:
- They are more potent and deliver stronger effects with less material.
- They are more flavorful and aromatic due to the higher terpene content.
- They are cleaner and produce less tar and combustion byproducts.
- They are more discreet and easier to store and transport.
What do you need to use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax?
To use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax, you will need some additional accessories besides the bong itself. These are:
- A nail or a banger: This is the part where you place your concentrate, oil, or wax. It can be made of glass, ceramic, titanium, or quartz. Each material has its pros and cons in terms of durability, heat retention, flavor preservation, and cost. Quartz is generally considered the best option for most users.
- A dome or a carb cap: This is the part that covers the nail or banger after you apply your concentrate, oil, or wax. It helps to trap the vapor and create a vacuum that lowers the boiling point of the extract. This allows you to vaporize your concentrate, oil, or wax at lower temperatures and preserve more flavor and potency.
- A dabber: This is the tool that you use to pick up and apply your concentrate, oil, or wax to the nail or banger. It can be made of metal, glass, ceramic, or silicone. It should have a pointed or scooped tip that can easily handle different types of extracts.
- A torch: This is the device that you use to heat up the nail or banger before you dab. It can be either butane or propane powered. It should have a strong and adjustable flame that can reach high temperatures quickly and evenly.
How to use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax?
Once you have all the necessary accessories, you can follow these steps to use a glass bong with concentrates, oils,
- Fill your glass bong with water as you normally would for smoking herb or tobacco. Make sure the water level is not too high or too low. You want enough water to filter and cool down the vapor but not so much that it splashes into your mouth.
- Replace the bowl piece of your glass bong with the nail or banger. Make sure it fits snugly and securely into the joint of your bong. If your nail or banger comes with a dome, place it over the nail or banger.
- Turn on your torch and aim it at the nail or banger. Heat it up until it glows red hot. This may take anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds depending on the material and size of your nail or banger.
- Turn off your torch and wait for the nail or banger to cool down slightly. This is important because you don’t want to vaporize your concentrate,
or wax at too high of a temperature as this can degrade the flavor and potency of your extract and produce harsher vapor. The optimal temperature range for dabbing is between 315°F and 450°F (157°C and 232°C). You can use an infrared thermometer to measure the temperature of your nail or banger
or you can use a timer to estimate it based on how long it takes for your nail or banger to stop glowing red hot. A general rule of thumb is to wait about 10 seconds for titanium nails
15 seconds for ceramic nails
and 30 seconds for quartz bangers.
- Use your dabber to pick up a small amount of your concentrate
or wax. The size of your dab will depend on your personal preference and tolerance but a good starting point is about the size of a grain of rice.
- Apply your dab to the nail or banger and inhale through the mouthpiece of your glass bong. If your nail or banger has a dome
cover it with the dome after you apply your dab. If your nail or banger has a carb cap
place it over the nail or banger after you apply your dab and twist it slightly to create a seal. This will help to regulate the airflow and create a more efficient and flavorful vaporization.
- Exhale the vapor and enjoy the effects of your concentrate
or wax. You may want to have some water or a drink nearby to hydrate yourself and soothe your throat after dabbing.
- Clean your nail or banger after each dab by wiping it with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. This will prevent any residue from building up and affecting the flavor and performance of your nail or banger.
Using a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax is a great way to experience the full potential of cannabis extracts. It can provide you with more potent, flavorful, and cleaner effects than smoking herb or tobacco. However, it also requires some extra equipment and knowledge to do it properly