Glass bongs are popular devices for smoking herb or tobacco, offering smooth and filtered hits that enhance the flavor and potency of the smoke. However, glass bongs are not without their drawbacks. They can be fragile, expensive, hard to clean, and prone to various problems and issues that can affect their performance and appearance. In this blog post, we will discuss some of the most common problems and issues that glass bong users face and how to solve them.
Problem #1: Broken or cracked glass
One of the most obvious and frustrating problems that glass bong users face is broken or cracked glass. Glass bongs can break or crack due to various reasons, such as dropping them, knocking them over, applying too much pressure, exposing them to extreme temperatures, or using harsh chemicals to clean them. Broken or cracked glass can compromise the functionality and safety of the bong, as well as its aesthetic appeal.
Solution: Depending on the extent and location of the damage, you may be able to fix your glass bong with some DIY methods or professional help. Here are some possible options:
- Food grade silicone: This is a non-toxic substance that can be used to seal cracks, chips, or joints in the glass. It is resistant to damage and does not crack, crumble, peel, or dry out. You can apply food grade silicone to the affected area and let it cure for a few hours before using the bong again. However, this method may not work for large or complex breaks.
- Duct tape: This is a cheap and easy option for repairing minor cracks or chips in the glass. You can wrap duct tape around the damaged area and press it firmly to create a seal. However, this method is not very discreet or attractive, and it may not last long.
- Epoxy resin: This is a strong and durable substance that can be used to glue broken pieces of glass together. You can mix epoxy resin with a hardener and apply it to the broken edges of the glass. Then you can clamp or tape the pieces together and let them cure for 24 hours before using the bong again. However, this method may not work for curved or irregular shapes.
- Glass repair kit: This is a specialized product that contains everything you need to fix your glass bong, such as adhesive, filler, sandpaper, polish, etc. You can follow the instructions on the kit to repair your glass bong according to its type and size. However, this method may be more expensive and time-consuming than others.
- Glass blower: This is a professional service that can restore your glass bong to its original condition or even improve it with custom designs. You can contact a local glass blower who has experience with repairing glass bongs and ask for a quote. However, this method may be very costly and require you to ship your bong or travel to their location.
If none of these methods work for you or if your glass bong is beyond repair, you may have to buy a new one. In that case, you should look for a quality glass bong that suits your budget and preferences.
Problem #2: Dirty or clogged glass
Another common problem that glass bong users face is dirty or clogged glass. Glass bongs can get dirty or clogged due to various reasons, such as smoking resinous herb or tobacco, using dirty water, leaving ash or debris in the bowl or stem, or neglecting regular cleaning. Dirty or clogged glass can affect the taste and smoothness of the smoke, as well as the health and hygiene of the user.
Solution: The best way to prevent your glass bong from getting dirty or clogged is to clean it regularly with simple household items. Here are some steps you can follow:
- Pour out the water from the bong and disassemble it into its parts (bowl, stem, base).
- Pour some isopropyl alcohol (70% or higher) into a ziplock bag or a container with a lid.
- Add some coarse salt (such as kosher salt) into the alcohol and shake it well.
- Put the bowl and stem into the bag or container with the alcohol-salt mixture and seal it.
- Pour some alcohol-salt mixture into the base of the bong and plug the holes with paper towels or cotton balls.
- Shake the bag or container and the bong vigorously for a few minutes to loosen and remove the dirt and resin.
- Pour out the alcohol-salt mixture and rinse the parts and the bong with warm water.
- Use a pipe cleaner, a cotton swab, or a toothpick to scrape off any remaining dirt or resin from the parts and the bong.
- Dry the parts and the bong with a paper towel or a cloth and let them air dry for an hour or so.
- Reassemble the bong and enjoy a fresh and clean smoke.
If your glass bong is very dirty or clogged, you may have to repeat these steps or let the parts and the bong soak in the alcohol-salt mixture for a few hours or overnight. You can also use a commercial bong cleaner instead of alcohol-salt mixture, but make sure it is safe and effective for glass bongs.
Problem #3: Smelly or stale water
A third problem that glass bong users face is smelly or stale water. Glass bongs use water to filter and cool the smoke, but if the water is not changed regularly, it can become smelly or stale due to various reasons, such as bacteria growth, mold formation, tar accumulation, or evaporation. Smelly or stale water can ruin the flavor and quality of the smoke, as well as pose health risks to the user.
Solution: The easiest way to avoid smelly or stale water in your glass bong is to change it frequently with fresh and clean water. Here are some tips you can follow:
- Change the water in your glass bong before every smoking session or at least once a day.
- Use filtered or distilled water instead of tap water to prevent impurities or minerals from affecting the taste and appearance of the water.
- Add some ice cubes, lemon juice, mint leaves, or other natural ingredients to enhance the flavor and freshness of the water.
- Store your glass bong in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight or heat sources to prevent evaporation or contamination of the water.
- Clean your glass bong regularly with alcohol-salt mixture or bong cleaner to remove any dirt or resin that may affect the water quality.
If you follow these tips, you will be able to enjoy a smooth and flavorful smoke from your glass bong without worrying about smelly or stale water.
Glass bongs are great devices for smoking herb or tobacco, but they also come with some problems and issues that can affect their performance and appearance. In this blog post, we discussed some of the most common problems and issues that glass bong users face and how to solve them. We hope this information will help you keep your glass bong in good condition and enjoy a satisfying smoking experience.