If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a glass bong, you probably know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin your smoking experience, affect the flavor and quality of your smoke, and even pose health risks. In this blog post, we will explain how to properly clean a glass bong, how often you should change the water in it, and why it matters for your smoking pleasure.
Why You Need to Clean Your Glass Bong
A glass bong is a device that filters and cools the smoke from your herb or tobacco through water, making it smoother and less harsh on your lungs and throat. However, after repeated use, the water in the bong becomes dirty and contaminated with tar, resin, ash, bacteria, mold, and other impurities. These can affect the taste and smell of your smoke, making it unpleasant and stale. Moreover, they can also harm your health by exposing you to toxins, pathogens, and carcinogens that can cause infections, inflammation, and even cancer.
Therefore, cleaning your glass bong regularly is essential to maintain its functionality, appearance, and hygiene. A clean bong will provide you with a better smoking experience, allowing you to enjoy the full flavor and potency of your herb or tobacco. It will also prevent the buildup of gunk and grime that can clog the bong and make it harder to use. Additionally, it will reduce the risk of inhaling harmful substances that can compromise your health and well-being.
How to Clean a Glass Bong
Cleaning a glass bong is a simple process that doesn’t take too much time or effort. All you need are some household materials that you probably already have in your kitchen or bathroom. Here are the basic steps to follow:
- Detach the smaller parts from the bong, such as the bowl, the slide, and the stem. Rinse them with hot water for 1-2 minutes to loosen any stubborn debris.
- Place the parts in a resealable plastic bag or a food storage tub. Add enough 91% isopropyl alcohol to cover them, and spoon in 1-2 tablespoons of coarse salt. The alcohol will help dissolve the tar and resin stuck to the parts, while the salt will act as an abrasive to scrub them away.
- Shake the bag gently for 2-3 minutes, distributing the salt into the nooks and crannies of the parts. Then, let them soak for 4-5 hours or overnight for best results.
- Pour out the alcohol/salt mixture and rinse the parts with warm water and dish soap. Use a cotton swab, a pipe cleaner, or a bottle brush to remove any remaining residue.
- Fill the bong halfway with isopropyl alcohol and add 4 tablespoons of salt. Plug the holes with paper towels or rubber stoppers and shake the bong over the sink for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour out the alcohol/salt mixture and rinse the bong with warm water and dish soap. Use a sponge or a bong brush to scrub the inside of the bong.
- Let all the parts air dry for about an hour or until they don’t smell like alcohol anymore.
- Reassemble the bong and enjoy your clean smoke.
If your bong is very dirty or has hard-to-reach areas, you may need to repeat some of these steps or try some alternative methods. For example, you can use white vinegar instead of alcohol, baking soda instead of salt, or lemon juice instead of dish soap. You can also boil some water and add lemon juice to the bong before shaking it up. However, be careful not to use boiling water on a cold piece, as this can cause it to shatter.
How Often Should You Change the Water in a Glass Bong
Now that you know how to clean your glass bong thoroughly, you may wonder how often you should do it. The answer depends on how frequently you use your bong and how much you care about its cleanliness. However, as a general rule of thumb, you should change the water in your bong after every smoke session. This will prevent the water from becoming stale and cloudy, which can affect the flavor and quality of your smoke. It will also prevent the growth of bacteria and mold in the water, which can pose health risks.
As for deep cleaning your bong, you should do it roughly once a week if you use it regularly. This will ensure that your bong stays in good shape and condition, and that you get the best smoking experience possible. Of course, you can clean your bong more or less often depending on your personal preference and convenience. Just remember that a clean bong is a happy bong, and a happy bong is a happy smoker.
Cleaning your glass bong is not a difficult or tedious task. It only requires some basic materials and a few minutes of your time. By cleaning your bong regularly, you will be able to enjoy the full flavor and potency of your herb or tobacco, as well as protect your health and well-being. So, don’t neglect your bong and treat it with the care and respect it deserves. You will be rewarded with a smooth and satisfying smoke every time.