If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin the taste of your smoke, harbor mold and bacteria, and damage your health. Fortunately, cleaning a bong is not too difficult, and you can do it with some simple household items: hot water and salt.
In this blog post, we will show you how to clean a bong with hot water and salt in a few easy steps. You will also learn why this method works, how often you should clean your bong, and what other alternatives you can use if you don’t have salt or hot water handy.
Why Hot Water and Salt?
Hot water and salt are a great combination for cleaning a bong because they work as a solvent and an abrasive, respectively. The hot water helps to loosen up the sticky resin that builds up on the glass over time, while the salt acts as a scrubber that removes the residue without scratching the surface.
Some people also add other ingredients to the hot water and salt mixture, such as isopropyl alcohol, vinegar, lemon juice, or dish soap. These can help to dissolve the resin faster and add some extra cleaning power. However, they are not strictly necessary, and some of them may leave behind an unpleasant smell or taste. If you use them, make sure to rinse your bong thoroughly with warm water afterwards.
How to Clean a Bong with Hot Water and Salt
Here are the steps to follow to clean your bong with hot water and salt:
- Empty the bong and rinse it out well with warm water. This will remove any loose ash or debris that may clog the pipe or the mouthpiece.
- Fill it halfway with hot water. You can use tap water or boil some water in a kettle or a pot. Be careful not to burn yourself or crack the glass with too much heat.
- Take the bong apart so you can clean the pieces. Remove all of the parts you can, including the pipe and the mouthpiece. If they are too tight or stuck, you can soak them in hot water for a few minutes to loosen them up.
- Pour three or more tablespoons of salt into the bong via the mouthpiece. The coarser the salt, the better. You can use table salt, kosher salt, Epsom salt, rock salt, or Himalayan salt.
- Cover the openings of the bong with your hands or some plastic wrap and rubber bands. Shake the bong vigorously for several minutes to make the salt scrub the inside of the glass. You should see the water turning brown as the resin comes off.
- Pour out the dirty water and rinse the bong again with warm water. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the water runs clear and no more resin is visible on the glass.
- Clean the pipe and the mouthpiece separately. You can use the same method as above, or you can place them in a sandwich bag with some hot water and salt and shake them until they are clean. You can also use a pipe cleaner or a cotton swab to reach any hard-to-clean spots.
- Rinse all of the parts well with warm water and let them dry completely before reassembling your bong.
How Often Should You Clean Your Bong?
The frequency of cleaning your bong depends on how often you use it and how much resin builds up on it. However, as a general rule of thumb, you should clean your bong at least once a week to ensure you get the best tasting smoke and avoid any health risks.
You should also change the water in your bong after every smoke session to prevent mold and bacteria from growing in it. Moldy bong water can cause lung infections, pneumonia, and other respiratory problems if you inhale it. It can also make your smoke taste nasty and harsh.
To keep track of when to clean your bong, you can use some visual cues. If your bong water is dark brown or black, if your glass is coated with thick resin, or if your smoke smells bad or makes you cough more than usual, it’s time to give your bong a good scrub.
What If You Don’t Have Salt or Hot Water?
If you don’t have access to salt or hot water, don’t worry. There are other ways to clean your bong that are equally effective. Here are some alternatives you can try:
- Isopropyl alcohol: This is a common solvent that can dissolve resin quickly and easily. You can use 91% to 99% isopropyl alcohol for the best results. Just fill your bong with it and let it soak for a few hours or overnight. You can also add some salt to make it more abrasive. Rinse well with warm water afterwards.
- Vinegar: This is another natural solvent that can help to remove resin from your bong. You can use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar for this purpose. Fill your bong with vinegar and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. You can also add some baking soda to create a fizzing reaction that can loosen up the resin. Rinse well with warm water afterwards.
- Lemon juice: This is a mild acid that can help to break down resin and add some freshness to your bong. You can use fresh or bottled lemon juice for this purpose. Fill your bong with lemon juice and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. You can also add some salt to make it more abrasive. Rinse well with warm water afterwards.
- Dish soap: This is a simple and cheap way to clean your bong. You can use any dish soap that you have at home for this purpose. Fill your bong with warm water and add some dish soap to it. Swirl it around and let it sit for a few minutes. You can also use a brush or a sponge to scrub the inside of the glass. Rinse well with warm water afterwards.
- Bong cleaner: This is a specialized product that is designed to clean bongs effectively and safely. You can find bong cleaners online or in smoke shops. They usually come in liquid or powder form and have instructions on how to use them on the label. Follow the directions carefully and rinse well with warm water afterwards.
Cleaning your bong with hot water and salt is a simple and effective way to keep it in good shape and enjoy your smoke sessions. By following the steps above, you can remove the resin, mold, bacteria, and bad smells from your bong in no time.
However, if you don’t have salt or hot water available, you can also use other methods such as isopropyl alcohol, vinegar, lemon juice, dish soap, or bong cleaner. The important thing is to clean your bong regularly and change the water often to prevent any health issues and ensure the best flavor of your herb or tobacco.
We hope this blog post was helpful and informative. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Happy smoking!