If you enjoy smoking herb or tobacco from a bong, you know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. A dirty bong can ruin the taste of your smoke, harbor bacteria and mold, and even cause respiratory infections. Fortunately, you don’t need to buy expensive or specialized products to clean your bong. You can use some common household items that you probably already have in your kitchen or bathroom. Here are some easy steps to clean your bong with household items.
What You’ll Need
- A bong
- Warm water
- Coarse salt, rice, or baking soda
- Isopropyl alcohol, vinegar, or dish soap
- Cotton swabs, pipe cleaners, bottle brushes, paper towels, dry cloths, or earbuds
- Lemon juice or white vinegar (optional)
Step 1: Disassemble Your Bong
The first thing you need to do is to take apart your bong and remove any removable pieces, such as the mouthpiece, the pipe, the bowl, and the downstem. This will make it easier to clean each part separately and thoroughly. As you disassemble your bong, check for any damage, such as chips or cracks, and replace any broken pieces before using your bong again.
Step 2: Empty and Rinse Your Bong
The next step is to empty your bong of any old water and spent herb or tobacco. Pour out the contents of your bong into a sink or a trash can and give it a good rinse with warm water to remove any loose particles. You can also use a paper towel or a dry cloth to wipe off any sticky residue from the outside of your bong.
Step 3: Fill Your Bong with a Cleaning Solution
Now it’s time to fill your bong with a cleaning solution that will help dissolve and loosen the stubborn stains and build-up inside your bong. You can use different combinations of household items for this purpose, depending on what you have available and what works best for you. Some of the most common and effective cleaning solutions are:
- Isopropyl alcohol and coarse salt: This is one of the most popular and powerful ways to clean a bong. Isopropyl alcohol (also known as rubbing alcohol) is a strong solvent that can dissolve resin and tar, while coarse salt (such as Epsom or rock salt) acts as an abrasive that can scrub away any remaining gunk. The higher the percentage of alcohol, the better. Ideally, you would use one over 90%. To use this method, pour enough isopropyl alcohol into your bong to cover the stained areas and add some salt. You can also pour some of this mixture into a ziplock bag and place your smaller pieces (such as the bowl and the downstem) inside.
- Vinegar and rice or baking soda: This is another effective and natural way to clean a bong. Vinegar is an acidic substance that can break down resin and tar, while rice or baking soda act as abrasives that can scrub away any remaining gunk. To use this method, pour enough vinegar into your bong to cover the stained areas and add some rice or baking soda. You can also pour some of this mixture into a ziplock bag and place your smaller pieces inside.
- Dish soap and warm water: This is a simple and gentle way to clean a bong. Dish soap is a mild detergent that can help remove grease and dirt from your bong, while warm water can help rinse away any residue. To use this method, fill your bong with warm water and add a squirt of dish soap. You can also fill a ziplock bag with warm water and dish soap and place your smaller pieces inside.
Step 4: Shake Your Bong
Once you have filled your bong with a cleaning solution of your choice, you need to shake it vigorously to make sure the solution reaches every corner of your bong and loosens up all the dirt. Use your hands, fingers, or thumbs to plug or block the open holes of your bong so that the solution doesn’t spill out. Shake your bong for about five minutes or until you see the water turning brown or cloudy. You can also massage or squeeze your ziplock bags with your smaller pieces inside to make sure they get cleaned as well.
Step 5: Rinse and Repeat
After shaking your bong, you need to empty the cleaning solution into a sink and rinse your bong thoroughly with clean water. Make sure you remove all traces of the solution and any dirt from your bong. You can also use a cotton swab, a pipe cleaner, a bottle brush, or an earbud to reach any hard-to-clean areas, such as the bowl, the downstem, or the percolator. Repeat the cleaning process as many times as you need to until your bong is sparkling clean.
Step 6: Polish Your Bong
If you want to give your bong a nice shine and remove any water marks, you can use some lemon juice or white vinegar as a natural polish. Lemon juice and white vinegar are both acidic substances that can help restore the luster of your glass and remove any mineral deposits. To use this method, soak your bong for 10-15 minutes in warm water with half a lemon’s worth of juice or half a cup of white vinegar. Then, rinse your bong with clean water and dry it thoroughly with a paper towel or a dry cloth.
Step 7: Enjoy Your Clean Bong
Congratulations! You have successfully cleaned your bong with household items and made it look as good as new. Now you can enjoy the fresh and smooth taste of your herb or tobacco without any unpleasant smells or flavors. Remember to clean your bong regularly to keep it in optimal condition and to preserve your health. Happy smoking!