If you are looking for a quick and easy way to enjoy your favorite herb or tobacco, you might want to try making a water bottle bong. A water bottle bong is a simple homemade device that allows you to smoke through water filtration, which can enhance the flavor and smoothness of your smoke. All you need are some basic household items and a few minutes of your time. Here is how to make a water bottle bong in 5 easy steps.
Step 1: Gather the materials
To make a water bottle bong, you will need the following materials:
- An empty plastic water bottle. Any size will work, but a standard 16.9 ounce bottle is ideal. Remove the cap and the label from the bottle.
- A lighter. You will use this to light your herb or tobacco, as well as to make holes in the bottle.
- A pair of scissors or another sharp tool. You will use this to poke holes in the bottle for the downstem and the carb.
- A ballpoint pen. You will disassemble this and use the empty tube as the downstem.
- A small metal socket. You will use this as the bowl for your herb or tobacco. You can find one at any hardware store or online.
- Some duct tape and gauze. You will use these to seal the gaps between the downstem and the bottle, and between the bowl and the downstem.
- Some water. You will fill the bottle with some water to create the bong chamber.
- Some herb or tobacco. You will load this into the bowl and smoke it.
Step 2: Make the downstem and the bowl
To make the downstem and the bowl, follow these steps:
- Disassemble the ballpoint pen, taking all the components apart until you are left with only the long empty plastic tube. This becomes the downstem.
- Take the metal socket and insert it into one end of the pen tube. It should fit snugly, but not too tightly. This becomes the bowl.
- Wrap some gauze around the joint where the socket meets the pen tube. This will prevent any air leaks and keep your herb or tobacco from falling into the downstem.
- Secure the gauze with some duct tape. Make sure it is wrapped tightly and evenly around the joint.
Step 3: Make holes in the bottle
To make holes in the bottle, follow these steps:
- Take your scissors or another sharp tool and poke a hole near the bottom of the bottle, about an inch above the base. This is where you will insert the downstem.
- Use your lighter to heat up the edges of the hole and make it slightly bigger. Be careful not to burn yourself or melt too much of the plastic.
- Insert the downstem into the hole at an angle, so that the bowl is pointing upwards on the outside of the bottle, and the end of the pen tube is submerged in water on the inside of
- Use some duct tape and gauze to seal any gaps between
the downstem and
the bottle. Make sure there are no air leaks.
- Poke another hole slightly above
the water level on
the opposite side of
the bottle from
the downstem. This is
the carb, which you will cover with your finger when smoking and release to clear
the smoke from
- Use your lighter to heat up
the edges of
the carb hole and make it smooth. The hole should be big enough for air to flow through easily, but not so big that you can’t cover it with your finger.
Step 4: Fill
the bottle with water
the bottle with water, follow these steps:
- Pour some water into
the bottle through
the mouthpiece until it reaches about a quarter of
the way up
- The water should cover
the end of
the downstem inside
the bottle, but not reach
the carb hole.
- The water acts as a filter for
the smoke, cooling it down and removing some of
the harshness and toxins.
Step 5: Pack
the bowl and smoke
the bowl and smoke, follow these steps:
- Grind your herb or tobacco and load it into
the bowl. Don’t pack it too tightly or loosely, just enough to fill
- Place your mouth over
the mouthpiece of
the bottle and cover
the carb hole with your finger.
- Use your lighter to ignite
the herb or tobacco in
the bowl and inhale slowly through
the mouthpiece. You will see
the smoke travel through
the downstem and bubble up in
the water, filling up
- When you have enough smoke in
the chamber, remove your finger from
the carb hole and inhale sharply to clear
the smoke from
- Exhale and enjoy!
Congratulations, you have just made a water bottle bong! You can reuse it as many times as you want, but make sure to clean it regularly and replace the water, the foil, and the gauze. You can also experiment with different sizes and shapes of bottles, as well as different materials for the downstem and the bowl. Have fun and be safe!