A bong is a device that allows you to smoke herb or tobacco in a way that cools and filters the smoke through water. Smoking a bong can be a fun and satisfying experience, but it can also be intimidating for beginners. If you want to learn how to smoke a bong, follow these simple steps.
What You Need
- A bong. You can buy one online or at a headshop, or you can make your own out of a water bottle, a pen, and some foil. However, homemade bongs are not recommended as they can be unsafe and unhealthy.
- Some herb or tobacco. You can use any kind of herb or tobacco that you like, but make sure it is dry and finely ground. You can use your fingers, scissors, or a grinder to break it up.
- A lighter or a hemp wick. You will need something to light the herb or tobacco in the bowl of the bong. A lighter is the most common option, but some people prefer to use a hemp wick, which is a natural and organic alternative that produces less butane and ash.
How to Smoke a Bong
- Fill the bong with water. Pour some clean and cool water through the mouthpiece of the bong into the water chamber. The water chamber is the bottom part of the bong where the bubbles happen. The water level should be high enough to cover the tip of the downstem, which is the thin tube that connects the bowl to the water chamber. The downstem should be slightly submerged in water, but not too much. If the water level is too high, you might get splashed or inhale water when you smoke. If the water level is too low, you won’t get enough filtration and cooling.
- Pack the bowl with herb or tobacco. The bowl is the funnel-shaped piece that attaches to the downstem. It is where you put your herb or tobacco. Take some of the ground herb or tobacco and gently pack it into the bowl. Don’t pack it too tightly or loosely, as this will affect the airflow and the burning. A good rule of thumb is to fill the bowl up to the rim, but not higher. If you are smoking alone, you can pack less than that. If you are smoking with friends, you can pack more.
- Hold the bong with your non-dominant hand. Wrap your hand around the neck or the base of the bong, depending on its size and shape. Make sure you have a firm grip on it so you don’t drop it or spill it.
- Place your lips inside the mouthpiece of the bong. The mouthpiece is the hole at the top of the bong where you inhale the smoke from. Put your lips inside the mouthpiece, not around it, and create a seal with your mouth.
- Light the bowl with your dominant hand. Use your lighter or hemp wick to ignite the herb or tobacco in the bowl. Hold it at an angle so you don’t burn yourself or your fingers.
- Start inhaling slowly and steadily through your mouth. As you light the bowl, you will see smoke rising from it and filling up the water chamber and then the neck of the bong. Keep inhaling until you see enough smoke in the bong for your desired hit size.
- Lift up the bowl or uncover the carb hole (if there is one). Some bongs have a small hole near the base called a carb hole, which you cover with your finger while inhaling and then release when you are ready to take your hit. This allows air to flow through the bong and clear out the smoke. If your bong doesn’t have a carb hole, you can achieve the same effect by lifting up the bowl slightly from the downstem.
- Inhale sharply and deeply to clear out all the smoke from the bong into your lungs. Hold it for a few seconds if you want to get more effects from your herb or tobacco, then exhale slowly and smoothly.
- Repeat steps 5-8 until you finish smoking all of your herb or tobacco in the bowl.
Tips and Tricks
- If you are new to smoking bongs, start with small hits and take it slow until you get used to it.
- If you cough while smoking, don’t panic. It’s normal and it will pass soon. Just drink some water and take a break.
- If you want to enhance your smoking experience, you can add some ice cubes, flavored water, or other liquids to the water chamber of your bong. This can make the smoke smoother, cooler, and tastier.
- Make sure to clean your bong regularly to prevent the buildup of resin, bacteria, and mold. You can use rubbing alcohol, salt, and hot water to rinse and scrub your bong until it is sparkling clean.
Smoking a bong can be a fun and enjoyable way to consume herb or tobacco. By following these simple steps, you can learn how to smoke a bong like a pro. Happy smoking!</p