A bong is a device that allows you to smoke herb or tobacco in a smooth and filtered way. It uses water to cool down and remove some of the harmful substances from the smoke, giving you a cleaner and more enjoyable experience. But how do you use a bong properly? Here are some steps to help you prepare, smoke and clean a bong.
What You Need
- A bong. Make sure it has a downstem and a bowl that fit well.
- Herb or tobacco of your choice.
- A grinder to break up your herb or tobacco.
- A lighter or hemp wick to light your bowl.
- Water to fill up the bong.
- A cleaning solution (either one designed for bongs or a mixture of rubbing alcohol and coarse salt) and some zipper-top plastic bags and plugs for cleaning.
How to Prepare the Bong
- Fill the bong with water through the mouthpiece, which is the large opening at the top of the bong. The water level should be enough to cover the bottom of the downstem, but not too high that it splashes into your mouth when you inhale. You can also add some ice cubes to the water chamber or the ice catch (if your bong has one) to make the smoke even cooler.
- Grind your herb or tobacco using a grinder. This will help it burn more evenly and produce more smoke. You can also use your fingers or scissors to break it up, but make sure it’s not too fine or it will fall through the bowl.
- Pack the bowl with your herb or tobacco. The bowl is the funnel-shaped piece that attaches to the outside of the downstem. To prevent your herb or tobacco from getting sucked into the water, place some larger pieces at the bottom of the bowl first. Then, fill the rest of the bowl with your ground material, but don’t pack it too tightly or it will restrict the airflow. If you’re smoking alone, you don’t need to fill the bowl more than half full. If you’re smoking with friends, you can fill it up to the rim of the bowl.
How to Smoke the Bong
- Hold the bong with your non-dominant hand and wrap your hand around the smoke chamber (the long section that connects the mouthpiece and the water chamber) or hold it from the bottom. Make sure you have a good grip on it and that it’s stable on a flat surface.
- Put your mouth over the mouthpiece and create a tight seal with your lips. Don’t put your mouth inside the mouthpiece or you’ll end up swallowing some water.
- Light your bowl with a lighter or hemp wick. Hold the flame close to the edge of the bowl and inhale slowly and steadily through your mouth. You’ll see the smoke start to bubble up through the water and fill up the smoke chamber. If your bong has a carb hole (a small hole on the side of the smoke chamber), cover it with your thumb while you inhale. If your bong doesn’t have a carb hole, you’ll need to pull out the bowl slightly when you’re ready to clear the smoke.
- When you’ve filled up the smoke chamber with enough smoke, stop lighting the bowl and get ready to inhale. If your lungs are full from drawing in the smoke, take a quick exhalation before clearing the bong. If you still have some lung capacity left, either remove your thumb from the carb hole or slide out the bowl completely from the downstem. Then, inhale deeply and quickly to clear all the smoke from the bong and into your lungs. Be prepared for a big hit that might make you cough.
- Hold in the smoke for a few seconds before exhaling slowly through your mouth or nose. Enjoy the effects of your herb or tobacco.
- If you want another hit, repeat steps 3-5 until you’re done with your bowl