A glass bong is a water pipe that can be used to smoke any type of herb or tobacco, but it can also be adapted to vaporize concentrates, oils, or wax with some simple modifications. In this blog post, we will show you how to use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax in a few easy steps.
What are concentrates, oils, and wax?
Concentrates, oils, and wax are different forms of cannabis extracts that have a higher concentration of cannabinoids and terpenes than the plant material. They can be made using various methods, such as solvent extraction, CO2 extraction, or rosin pressing. Some of the most common types of concentrates are shatter, budder, crumble, live resin, rosin, and distillate. Oils are liquid extracts that can be consumed orally or vaporized. Wax is a soft and sticky extract that can have different textures and colors depending on the extraction process and the strain used.
Why use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax?
Using a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax has several advantages over other methods of consumption. Some of them are:
- You can enjoy the smooth and flavorful hits of water filtration and cooling.
- You can control the temperature and intensity of your vapor by adjusting the flame or the airflow.
- You can save money and herb by using less material for more potent effects.
- You can experience the full spectrum of cannabinoids and terpenes from your extracts.
- You can mix and match different types of extracts and herbs for customized effects and flavors.
What do you need to use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax?
To use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax, you will need some additional accessories besides the bong itself. These are:
- A nail or a banger: This is the part where you place your concentrate, oil, or wax. It can be made of different materials, such as quartz, titanium, ceramic, or glass. Quartz and titanium are the most popular choices because they retain heat well and are durable. Ceramic and glass are more fragile but offer better flavor. A nail fits into the downstem of your bong like a bowl, while a banger attaches to the joint of your bong like an adapter.
- A dome or a carb cap: This is the part that covers the nail or the banger to trap the vapor inside. A dome is a glass piece that fits over the nail like a hood. A carb cap is a metal or glass piece that rests on top of the banger like a lid. A carb cap also has a hole or a slit that allows you to control the airflow and create a vacuum effect.
- A dabber: This is the tool that you use to pick up and apply your concentrate, oil, or wax to the nail or the banger. It can be made of metal, glass, or silicone. It usually has a pointed or scooped tip for easy handling.
- A torch: This is the device that you use to heat up your nail or your banger. It can be either butane or propane powered. You want to use a torch that has a strong and adjustable flame for optimal heating.
How to use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax?
Once you have all the necessary equipment, you can follow these steps to use your glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax:
- Fill your bong with water as usual and attach your nail or your banger to the joint.
- Turn on your torch and heat up your nail or your banger until it glows red. Be careful not to overheat it as this can damage your equipment and ruin your flavor. A good rule of thumb is to heat it for about 20 to 30 seconds depending on the material and size.
- Let your nail or your banger cool down for about 10 to 15 seconds until it reaches the ideal temperature for vaporization. You can use an infrared thermometer to check the temperature if you want more accuracy. Generally speaking, lower temperatures (around 300°F to 400°F) produce more flavor and smoother hits while higher temperatures (around 500°F to 700°F) produce more vapor and stronger effects.
- Use your dabber to scoop up a small amount of your concentrate, oil, or wax and place it on the nail or the banger. If you are using a dome, cover the nail with it. If you are using a carb cap, place it on the banger and twist or lift it slightly to adjust the airflow.
- Inhale slowly and steadily from the mouthpiece of your bong as the extract melts and vaporizes. You can take as many hits as you want until the extract is gone or until you are satisfied.
- Clean your nail or your banger with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol or water to remove any residue and prevent buildup.
Alternative methods to use a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax
If you don’t have a nail, a banger, a dome, or a carb cap, you can still use your glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax by using some of these alternative methods:
- Glass bowl or bong: This is for sure the easiest way to go about smoking concentrates without a rig. Load your bowl up like normal then put your shatter or wax on top of the herb. You can smoke it like you normally would and it’ll get you plenty high .
- Joint: You can roll out some rolling paper, spread the herb on it, place a bit of wax on the weed, and then wash your hands before rolling the joint. You can also use oil instead of wax by dripping it on the paper or the herb .
- Healthstone: This is a porous glass insert that fits into your bowl and acts like a filter. You can place your concentrate, oil, or wax on top of the healthstone and heat it with a torch or a lighter. The extract will vaporize and pass through the holes of the healthstone into your bong .
- Vaporizer: This is an electronic device that heats up your extract to produce vapor without combustion. You can use a portable or a desktop vaporizer that has a compatible attachment for concentrates, oils, or wax. Some vaporizers also have adapters that allow you to connect them to your bong for water filtration .
Using a glass bong with concentrates, oils, or wax is a great way to enjoy the benefits of cannabis extracts without sacrificing flavor, smoothness, or potency