A glass bong is a water-filtration device that is used to smoke herb or tobacco. It can produce smooth, clean and potent hits that are enjoyable and satisfying. However, using a glass bong can also create some challenges, such as making too much noise or smell that might bother your neighbors, roommates or family members. In this blog post, we will give you some tips on how to use a glass bong without making too much noise or smell, so you can enjoy your smoking session without any worries.
What is a Glass Bong and How Does It Work?
A glass bong is a type of water pipe that consists of a bowl, a stem, a water chamber and a mouthpiece. The bowl is where you put your herb or tobacco, the stem connects the bowl to the water chamber, the water chamber holds the water that filters and cools the smoke, and the mouthpiece is where you inhale the smoke from.
The physics behind a glass bong are fairly straightforward: when you light the herb or tobacco in the bowl and inhale through the mouthpiece, you create a vacuum that pulls the smoke through the stem and into the water chamber. As the smoke bubbles up through the water, it gets cooled down and filtered, removing some of the tar, ash and other harmful substances. The smoke then travels up to the mouthpiece, where you can inhale it into your lungs.
Some glass bongs have additional features that enhance the smoking experience, such as:
- A carburetor or carb hole: this is a small hole somewhere above the water level that helps to clear the smoke from the chamber when released. To use it, you cover it with your finger while inhaling, and then uncover it when you want to inhale the remaining smoke.
- A percolator or perc: this is a device inside the water chamber that breaks up the smoke into smaller bubbles, increasing the surface area and contact with water. This results in smoother, cooler and cleaner hits.
- An ice catch: this is a notch or indentation in the neck of the bong that holds ice cubes. The ice further cools down the smoke as it passes through, making it less harsh on your throat and lungs.
How to Use a Glass Bong: Step by Step Instructions
Here are the steps to use a glass bong:
- Prep your bong: pour water into the mouthpiece until the waterline is above the base of the stem but below the bowl. You can also put ice cubes in the water or in the ice catch if you have one. Make sure your bong has a downstem and bowl that fit well and are cleared of any ash.
- Grind your herb or tobacco: take a small amount of herb or tobacco (about half a gram) and grind it with a grinder or break it up with your fingers or scissors. Fill the bowl with it, without packing it too tightly.
- Place your lips inside the mouthpiece: put your mouth inside the mouthpiece, creating a tight seal. If your bong has a carb hole, cover it with your finger or thumb.
- Light the bowl: hold a lighter or hemp wick over the bowl and inhale slowly and steadily through the mouthpiece. You will see the chamber filling up with milky-white smoke.
- Inhale the smoke: when the chamber is full of smoke, pull out the bowl or uncover the carb hole and inhale forcefully, clearing the smoke from the chamber into your lungs. Hold it for a few seconds and then exhale.
- Repeat as desired: you can repeat steps 3 to 5 until you finish your bowl or reach your desired level of effects.
- Clean your bong: after each session, dump out the dirty water and rinse your bong with hot water. Every once in a while, you should also deep clean your bong with a cleaning solution (either one designed specifically for bongs or a combination of rubbing alcohol and coarse salt) and some zipper-top plastic bags and plugs that fit the holes in your bong.
How to Use a Glass Bong Without Making Too Much Noise or Smell?
Using a glass bong can be noisy and smelly for several reasons:
- The bubbling sound of the smoke passing through water can be loud and noticeable, especially if you have a large bong or a percolator.
- The sound of lighting the bowl, pulling out the bowl or uncovering the carb hole can also be audible and draw attention.
- The smell of the herb or tobacco burning and the smoke can linger in the air and on your clothes, hair and furniture, especially if you smoke indoors or in a poorly ventilated area.
Fortunately, there are some ways to reduce the noise and smell of using a glass bong, such as:
- Using less water: less water means less bubbling and less noise. However, be careful not to use too little water, as this will make the smoke harsher and less filtered. You can also try using warm water instead of cold water, as this will produce less condensation and less noise.
- Using a smaller bong: a smaller bong will produce less smoke and less noise than a larger one. It will also be easier to hide and store.
- Using a sploof: a sploof is a homemade device that filters the smoke and reduces the smell. You can make one by stuffing a toilet paper roll or a plastic bottle with dryer sheets or activated charcoal and covering one end with a rubber band or duct tape. When you exhale, blow the smoke through the sploof and it will come out smelling fresher.
- Using an air purifier or fan: an air purifier or fan can help to circulate the air and remove some of the smoke and smell. You can also open a window or door to let some fresh air in.
- Using candles, incense or spray: these can help to mask the smell of the smoke with more pleasant aromas. However, they may not be enough to eliminate the smell completely, so use them in combination with other methods.
A glass bong is a great way to smoke herb or tobacco, as it provides smooth, clean and potent hits that are enjoyable and satisfying. However, using a glass bong can also create some challenges, such as making too much noise or smell that might bother your neighbors, roommates or family members. In this blog post, we gave you some tips on how to use a glass bong without making too much noise or smell, so you can enjoy your smoking session without any worries. We hope you found this post helpful and informative. Happy smoking!