A gravity bong is a type of homemade bong that uses water and pressure to draw smoke into the lungs. It consists of a two-piece chamber system that nestles together—one larger chamber to hold the water and a second smaller chamber to hold the bowl and capture the smoke. As the herb or tobacco is lit, gravity pulls smoke into the bottle using water in a container to create suction. A gravity bong is also known by various names such as GB, geeb, bucket bong, or waterfall bong.
Gravity bongs are popular among cannabis enthusiasts who want to experience a powerful and efficient delivery of their favorite strain. However, they are not for the faint of heart, as they can produce very potent hits that may overwhelm inexperienced or low-tolerance users. Gravity bongs are also a fun and easy DIY project that can be made with a few everyday household items. In this blog post, we will explain how gravity bongs work, how to make one, and what are the pros and cons of using them.
How do gravity bongs work?
Gravity bongs work by submerging a small bottle with a bowl of herb or tobacco on top in a larger bottle or bucket of water. While lighting the herb or tobacco, slowly draw the bottle out of the water to fill it with smoke from the burning material. Unscrew the lid, put your mouth over the bottle’s opening, and push the bottle down to let gravity propel the smoke into your lungs.
There are two main types of gravity bongs: bucket bongs and waterfall bongs. Both use air pressure and water to draw smoke, but they have slightly different designs and methods.
A bucket bong is made out of two containers: a large bucket or other container filled with water, and a smaller plastic bottle with its base cut off and a bowl attached to its cap. The smaller bottle is placed inside the larger container, with its open end submerged in water. The bowl is packed with herb or tobacco and lit, while the user slowly lifts the bottle out of the water. This creates a vacuum that sucks the smoke into the bottle. The user then removes the cap, places their mouth over the opening, and pushes the bottle back into the water. This forces the smoke out of the bottle and into the user’s lungs.
A waterfall bong is made out of one container: a plastic bottle with a hole near its base and a bowl on its cap. The bottle is filled with water and the cap is screwed on. The user then holds the bottle over a sink or a bucket and lights the herb or tobacco in the bowl. The user then releases the hole at the bottom of the bottle, allowing the water to drain out. As the water flows out, air is forced through the bowl and causes the herb or tobacco to burn and accumulate smoke in the bottle. The user then unscrews the cap, places their mouth over the opening, and inhales the smoke.
How to make a gravity bong?
Making a gravity bong is relatively simple and inexpensive. You will need:
- A large plastic bucket or other container that can hold water
- A smaller plastic bottle that can fit inside the larger container (such as a 2-liter soda bottle)
- A metal socket or bowl that can fit on top of the bottle’s cap
- An aerator screen or aluminum foil to cover the socket or bowl
- A knife or scissors to cut off the base of the bottle
- A lighter or matches to light the herb or tobacco
- Your preferred herb or tobacco
Follow these steps to make your own bucket bong:
- Cut off the base of the smaller bottle using a knife or scissors.
- Make a small hole in the center of the bottle’s cap using a knife or scissors.
- Place an aerator screen or aluminum foil over the socket or bowl and secure it with tape or rubber bands.
- Thread the socket or bowl through the hole in the cap and screw it onto the bottle.
- Fill up