If you are a fan of smoking herbs or tobacco with a glass bong, you might have wondered how to tell the difference between a high-quality bong and a cheap one. After all, you don’t want to waste your money on a low-quality piece that will break easily or ruin your smoking experience. One of the most important factors that determine the quality of a glass bong is the type of glass it is made of. In this blog post, we will explain why borosilicate glass is the best material for bongs and how to identify it.
What is borosilicate glass and why is it better for bongs?
Borosilicate glass is a special type of glass that contains boron, which makes it more resistant to thermal shock, high temperatures, corrosion and breakage. Borosilicate glass is used in research and medical settings, as well as for nuclear waste storage . As you can imagine, medical-grade glass is perfect for bongs, too.
When compared to other types of glass used in bongs, such as soft glass or regular glass, borosilicate glass has many advantages:
- It can handle high temperatures without cracking, which means you can use a torch lighter or an electric nail without worrying about damaging your bong.
- It is more durable against breakage, which means it can withstand accidental drops or bumps better than other glass bongs.
- It has a high resistance to corrosion, which means it will not stain or lose its shine over time. It also makes it easier to clean, as it has a smoother and less porous surface than soft glass.
- It has a clear and transparent appearance, which allows you to see the smoke and water inside your bong. It also gives your bong a sleek and elegant look.
How to tell if your glass bong is made of borosilicate glass?
Now that you know why borosilicate glass is the best material for bongs, you might be wondering how to tell if your glass bong is made of it or not. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to tell just by looking at it, as some cheap glass bongs might look similar to borosilicate ones. However, there are some clues that can help you identify a borosilicate glass bong:
- The price: Borosilicate glass bongs are usually more expensive than other glass bongs, as they require more skill and precision to make. If you see a very cheap glass bong that claims to be made of borosilicate glass, be suspicious.
- The weight: Borosilicate glass bongs are usually lighter than other glass bongs, as they have thinner walls and less density. If you feel that your glass bong is too heavy or thick for its size, it might not be made of borosilicate glass.
- The sound: Borosilicate glass bongs produce a higher-pitched sound when tapped or knocked than other glass bongs. If you hear a dull or low-pitched sound when you tap your glass bong, it might not be made of borosilicate glass.
- The brand: Borosilicate glass bongs are usually made by reputable and well-known brands that have a history and reputation in the industry. Some examples are Zob Glass Pipes , Smoke Cartel and Bern Gallery . If you see a brand that you have never heard of or that has poor reviews online, be careful.
Borosilicate glass is the best material for bongs, as it offers superior performance, durability and aesthetics than other types of glass. However, not all glass bongs are made of borosilicate glass, so you need to be careful when buying one. To tell if your glass bong is made of borosilicate glass, look for clues such as the price, the weight, the sound and the brand. If you are not sure, ask the seller or do some research online before making a purchase. A high-quality borosilicate glass bong will last you for years and give you an amazing smoking experience every time.