A glass bong is a great way to enjoy your favorite herb or tobacco, but it can also be a fragile and delicate piece of equipment. If you want to drill a hole in your glass bong to add a carburetor, a downstem, or a bowl, you need to be careful not to crack or break the glass. Similarly, if you want to clean your glass bong, you need to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the glass. Here are some tips on how to avoid breaking or cracking your glass bong while drilling or cleaning it.
How to Drill a Hole in Your Glass Bong
Drilling a hole in your glass bong can be tricky, but not impossible. You will need a few tools and materials, such as:
- A glass bottle with a long neck and a wide base. This will be the body of your bong.
- A 3/4″ diamond drill bit. This is specially designed to drill through glass without shattering it.
- A rubber grommet with an outside diameter of 31/32″, an inner diameter of 1/2″, and a 3/4″ groove. This will seal the hole and hold the downstem in place.
- A 14mm glass bowl and downstem. These will be the smoking components of your bong.
- A sharpie marker. This will help you mark the spot where you want to drill the hole.
- A battery-powered drill. This is safer than using an electric drill near water.
- Safety goggles and gloves. These will protect your eyes and hands from glass shards.
Once you have all the tools and materials ready, follow these steps:
- Clean the bottle with warm water and remove any plastic labels or stickers.
- Mark a spot on the bottle where you want to drill the hole. It should be on the upper curve of the body, where the surface is relatively flat. Use the grommet as a guide and trace a circle with the sharpie.
- Attach the diamond drill bit to your drill and set it to 3/4 of its max speed.
- Turn on the faucet and get a steady stream of water over the drill spot. This will keep the glass cool and prevent it from breaking.
- Start drilling slowly and gently. First, angle the drill bit so it just touches the top of the spot. Then, slowly angle the drill bit until it’s going into the glass at a 90 degree angle, using the carved out edge as a pivot.
- Keep drilling until you reach the other side of the bottle. Do not apply too much pressure or speed up the drill, as this can crack the glass.
- Grind away any sharp edges and clean out any glass dust from the hole.
- Put in the grommet, stem, and bowl. Make sure they fit snugly and securely.
Congratulations! You have successfully drilled a hole in your glass bong. You can now fill it with water and enjoy smoking your herb or tobacco.
How to Clean Your Glass Bong
Cleaning your glass bong is important to maintain its functionality and appearance. However, you need to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can scratch or weaken the glass. Here are some tips on how to clean your glass bong safely and effectively:
- Empty the water and ash from your bong and rinse it with warm water.
- Fill a ziplock bag with rubbing alcohol and coarse salt. Put the bowl and downstem in the bag and shake it vigorously for a few minutes. This will loosen up any resin or tar stuck on them.
- Pour some rubbing alcohol and coarse salt into the bottle of your bong. Cover the hole with your hand or some plastic wrap and shake it vigorously for a few minutes. This will loosen up any resin or tar stuck on the inside of the bottle.
- Rinse everything with warm water until all traces of alcohol and salt are gone.
- Dry everything with a soft cloth or paper towel.
That’s it! You have successfully cleaned your glass bong. You can now enjoy smoking your herb or tobacco with a fresh and sparkling bong.