A glass bong is a device that allows you to smoke herb or tobacco through water filtration, resulting in a smoother and cooler hit. Glass bongs are popular among smokers because they are durable, easy to clean, and come in various shapes and sizes. However, glass bongs can also be expensive and hard to find, especially if you live in an area where they are illegal or frowned upon. Fortunately, you can make your own glass bong at home using some cheap, basic supplies and a little bit of creativity. In this blog post, we will show you how to make a glass bong in 8 simple steps, what materials and tools you will need, and some tips and tricks to make your homemade glass bong more functional and attractive.
Materials and tools you will need
To make a glass bong at home, you will need the following materials and tools:
- A glass bottle: This will be the body of your bong. You can use any kind of glass bottle, but keep in mind that the larger the bottle is, the bigger the bong hits will be. Also, choose a bottle that has a relatively flat surface on the upper curve of the body, where you will drill a hole for the downstem. Some examples of suitable bottles are wine bottles, liquor bottles, or soda bottles.
- A piece of glass tubing: This will be the downstem of your bong, which is the tube that connects the bowl to the water chamber. You can buy glass tubing online or at a local hardware store. Alternatively, you can use an empty highlighter or pen as a downstem, but they may not be as sturdy or heat-resistant as glass tubing.
- A bowl: This is where you will pack your herb or tobacco. You can buy a glass bowl online or at a local head shop, or you can make your own bowl using aluminum foil. However, be aware that aluminum foil may release harmful chemicals when heated, so use it at your own risk.
- A rubber grommet or cork: This is what will seal the hole where you insert the downstem into the bottle. You can buy rubber grommets online or at a local hardware store, or you can use a cork from a wine bottle. Make sure the grommet or cork fits snugly around the downstem and the hole in the bottle.
- A propane torch: This is what you will use to heat the glass bottle and drill a hole in it. You can buy a propane torch online or at a local hardware store. Make sure to follow the safety instructions and precautions when using a propane torch.
- A 3/4″ diamond drill bit: This is what you will use to drill a hole in the glass bottle for the downstem. You can buy a diamond drill bit online or at a local hardware store. Diamond drill bits are designed to cut through hard materials like glass without cracking or shattering them.
- A battery-powered drill: This is what you will use to attach the diamond drill bit and drill the hole in the glass bottle. Make sure to use a battery-powered drill, as you will be running water over the drilling area to keep the glass cool and prevent it from breaking.
- A working surface: This is where you will place your bottle and drill the hole in it. You can use any flat and stable surface, such as a table, a countertop, or a cutting board. Make sure to cover your working surface with some newspaper or cloth to protect it from scratches and debris.
- Water: This is what you will fill your bottle with to create the water chamber of your bong. Water helps filter and cool down the smoke before you inhale it.
How to make a glass bong in 8 simple steps
Now that you have gathered all your materials and tools, you are ready to make your glass bong. Follow these 8 simple steps:
- Clean the bottle. Empty the bottle and wash it out with warm water. Warm water helps the drilling go smoothly. You don’t need the cap of the bottle, so you can discard it.
- Mark a spot to drill. Remove any plastic label that might be on the bottle. Find a spot on the bottle where the surface is relatively flat, somewhere on the upper curve of the body. Place the grommet or cork there and use it to trace a circle with a sharpie. This will be the hole for the downstem.
- Prepare your tools. Attach the diamond drill bit to your drill. Be sure to use a battery-powered drill, as you will be running water over the drilling area. Since there will be drilling and glass involved, it’s a good idea to put on safety goggles and gloves.
- Get a steady stream of water over the drill spot. To keep the glass cool and prevent it from breaking, turn on the faucet. You want more than just a trickle but not such a heavy stream that you can’t see what you’re doing. Hold the bottle so the water runs over the spot you marked.
- Start drilling slowly. Set your drill to 3/4 of its max speed and gently push it against the marked spot. Don’t apply too much pressure or you might crack the glass. Let the drill bit do the work and slowly make a hole in the glass. You might hear some grinding or cracking sounds, but don’t worry, that’s normal. It might take a few minutes to drill through the glass, so be patient and careful.
- Insert the grommet or cork into the hole. Once you have drilled a hole in the bottle, dry it off with a towel. Then, insert the grommet or cork into the hole and make sure it fits tightly and securely. You might need to trim or sand the grommet or cork to make it fit better.
- Insert the downstem into the grommet or cork. Next, insert the downstem into the grommet or cork and make sure it goes all the way through. The end of the downstem inside the bottle should be submerged in water when you fill it up later. The end of the downstem outside the bottle should be angled upward, where you will attach the bowl.
- Add the bowl to the end of the downstem. Finally, add the bowl to the end of the downstem and make sure it fits snugly and securely. If you are using a glass bowl, you can simply slide it onto the downstem. If you are using an aluminum foil bowl, you can wrap it around the end of the downstem and poke some small holes in it for airflow.
Tips and tricks to make your homemade glass bong better
Congratulations! You have just made your own glass bong at home. Now you can enjoy smoking your herb or tobacco with your homemade device. Here are some tips and tricks to make your homemade glass bong better:
- Fill your bottle with enough water to cover the end of the downstem, but not too much that it reaches your mouth when you inhale. You can also add some ice cubes to make your hits even cooler and smoother.
- Clean your bong regularly to prevent resin buildup and bacteria growth. You can use rubbing alcohol and salt to scrub your bong, or buy some specialized bong cleaners online or at a local head shop.
- Decorate your bong with stickers, paint, or other accessories to make it more personalized and attractive. You can also use different types of bottles or shapes of glass tubing to create unique designs and styles for your bong.
- Be careful when handling your bong, as glass can break easily if dropped or hit. Store your bong in a safe place when not in use, and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or sunlight.
Making a glass bong at home is not as hard as it may seem. With some basic materials and tools, you can create your own functional and beautiful device for smoking herb or tobacco. Follow our 8 simple steps, use our tips and tricks, and enjoy your homemade glass bong!