A glass bong is a device that allows you to smoke your favorite herb or tobacco through water filtration, resulting in a smoother, cooler, and more flavorful experience. Glass bongs are popular among stoners and tokers for their durability, variety, and aesthetics. However, using a glass bong also comes with some responsibilities and risks that you should be aware of before you light up. Here are some tips on how to enjoy your glass bong safely and legally.
Choose the right glass bong for you
There are many types and styles of glass bongs available on the market, from simple beaker bongs to elaborate recyclers with percolators. The type of glass bong you choose depends on your personal preference, budget, and smoking needs. Some factors to consider when choosing a glass bong are:
- The size and shape of the bong. Do you want a small and portable bong that you can easily carry around, or a large and stable bong that can hold more water and smoke? Do you prefer a straight tube or a beaker base for more stability? Do you like the classic look or the modern design?
- The joint size and gender of the bong. The joint is the part where the bowl or the nail attaches to the bong. Glass joints can be either male or female, and they come in different sizes, such as 10mm, 14mm, or 18mm. You need to make sure that the joint size and gender of your bong matches the joint size and gender of your bowl or nail.
- The type and number of percolators in the bong. Percolators are additional chambers or devices that further filter and cool the smoke as it passes through the water. There are many types of percolators, such as tree, showerhead, honeycomb, turbine, etc. Some bongs have multiple percolators for extra diffusion and smoothness. However, more percolators also mean more drag and resistance when inhaling, so you need to find a balance between function and comfort.
Clean your glass bong regularly
One of the most important things to do when using a glass bong is to keep it clean. A dirty bong not only looks and smells bad, but it also affects the taste and quality of your smoke. Resin, tar, ash, bacteria, mold, and other contaminants can build up inside your bong over time, making it harder to draw and potentially harmful to your health. To prevent this, you should clean your glass bong after every use or at least once a week.
To clean your glass bong, you will need some rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol), coarse salt (kosher salt or sea salt), hot water, ziplock bags, cotton swabs, and paper towels. Here are the steps to follow:
- Disassemble your glass bong into its separate parts: the base, the downstem, the bowl or nail, etc.
- Rinse each part with hot water to remove any loose debris.
- Fill a ziplock bag with rubbing alcohol and salt. Place the downstem, the bowl or nail, and any other small parts into the bag. Seal the bag and shake it vigorously for a few minutes.
- Pour some rubbing alcohol and salt into the base of the bong. Cover the openings with your hands or paper towels and shake it well for several minutes.
- Drain the alcohol-salt solution from each part and rinse them thoroughly with hot water.
- Use cotton swabs to remove any remaining residue from hard-to-reach areas.
- Dry each part with paper towels and reassemble your glass bong.
Use your glass bong responsibly and legally
Finally, you should always use your glass bong in a responsible and legal manner. This means:
- Only use your glass bong for smoking herb or tobacco. Do not use it for smoking any illegal or harmful substances, such as crack, meth, or heroin.
- Only smoke herb or tobacco that is legal in your area. Check the local laws and regulations regarding the possession, consumption, and cultivation of herb or tobacco before you buy or use them.
- Only smoke herb or tobacco in a safe and private place. Do not smoke in public places, near children, pets, or people who do not consent to being exposed to secondhand smoke.
- Only smoke herb or tobacco in moderation. Do not smoke more than you can handle, and do not drive or operate heavy machinery while under the influence.
- Only share your glass bong with people you trust. Do not lend or borrow glass bongs from strangers, as they may be contaminated with germs or diseases. Always sanitize your glass bong before and after sharing it with others.
By following these tips, you can enjoy your glass bong responsibly and legally without getting into trouble or harming yourself or others. Happy smoking!