A glass bong is a great way to enjoy your favorite herb or tobacco, but it can also be fragile and prone to breaking or cracking if you’re not careful. Whether you’re making your own glass bong from a liquor bottle or cleaning your existing one, you need to take some precautions to avoid damaging it. Here are some tips on how to drill and clean your glass bong safely and effectively.
How to Drill a Glass Bong
If you want to make a glass bong from a liquor bottle, you’ll need a few tools and materials, such as:
- A glass bottle with a long neck and a wide base
- A 3/4″ diamond drill bit
- A 14mm glass bowl and downstem
- A rubber grommet with an outside diameter of 31/32″, an inner diameter of 1/2″, and a 3/4″ groove
- Duct tape
- A battery-powered drill
- Safety goggles
Once you have everything ready, follow these steps:
- Clean the bottle and remove any plastic labels or stickers.
- Find a spot on the bottle where the surface is relatively flat, somewhere on the upper curve of the body. Place the grommet there and use it to trace a circle with a sharpie. This will be where you’ll drill the hole for the downstem.
- Attach the diamond drill bit to your drill and put on your safety goggles.
- Turn on the faucet and hold the bottle under a steady stream of water. The water will keep the glass cool and prevent it from cracking.
- Start drilling slowly at a 3/4 of the max speed of your drill. First, angle the drill bit so it just touches the top of the spot. Then, slowly angle the drill bit until it’s going into the glass at a 90 degree angle, using the carved out edge as a pivot.
- Keep drilling until you reach the other side of the bottle. Be careful not to apply too much pressure or force, as this can cause the glass to shatter.
- Remove the drill bit and clean up any glass shards or dust.
- Insert the downstem through the hole and secure it with the grommet. Make sure it fits snugly and doesn’t leak.
- Attach the bowl to the downstem and fill it with your herb or tobacco of choice.
- Fill the bottle with water until it covers about an inch of the downstem. You can adjust the water level according to your preference.
- Enjoy your homemade glass bong!
How to Clean a Glass Bong
Cleaning your glass bong regularly is important for maintaining its quality and performance. A dirty bong can affect the taste and smell of your herb or tobacco, as well as harbor bacteria and mold. To clean your glass bong, you’ll need:
- Isopropyl alcohol (at least 91%)
- Ziplock bags
- Paper towels
- Pipe cleaners or cotton swabs
Follow these steps to clean your glass bong:
- Disassemble your bong and remove any loose ash or residue from the bowl and downstem.
- Place the bowl and downstem in separate ziplock bags and fill them with enough isopropyl alcohol to submerge them. Add some salt to each bag and shake them gently. The salt will act as an abrasive and help scrub away any stubborn stains or deposits.
- Let them soak for at least 15 minutes, or longer if they are very dirty.
- Pour some isopropyl alcohol and salt into the bottle and swirl it around. Make sure to cover all the surfaces inside the bottle with the solution.
- Let it sit for at least 15 minutes, or longer if needed.
- Rinse the bowl, downstem, and bottle with hot water until all the alcohol and salt are washed away. Use pipe cleaners or cotton swabs to reach any hard-to-clean areas.
- Dry everything with paper towels and reassemble your bong.
- Your glass bong is now clean and ready to use!
A glass bong is a great way to enjoy your herb or tobacco, but it can also be fragile and prone to breaking or cracking if you’re not careful. By following these tips on how to drill and clean your glass bong, you can avoid damaging it and extend its lifespan. Remember to always use the right tools and materials, and to be gentle and patient when drilling or cleaning your glass bong. Happy smoking!