A bong is a device that allows you to smoke herb or tobacco in a filtered and smooth way. Bongs can be made of glass, plastic, metal, ceramic, or even bamboo, but they all have the same basic parts: a chamber, a downstem, a bowl, and a mouthpiece. The chamber is the main part where the water and smoke percolate before you inhale, and can be made of anything with lots of interior space, like a tube or canister. The downstem is the tube that connects the bowl to the chamber and allows the smoke to travel through the water. The bowl is where you pack your herb or tobacco and light it up. The mouthpiece is where you put your lips and inhale the smoke.
Bongs can be expensive or hard to find, but you can also make your own bong at home using some cheap, basic supplies. In this blog post, we will show you how to make a bong out of a plastic bottle, which is one of the easiest and most common methods. You will need:
- A plastic bottle (any size will work, but larger bottles will give you bigger hits)
- A pair of scissors or a sharp pen
- A marker
- Duct tape
- A needle
- Some aluminum foil
Here are the steps to follow:
- Fill up the plastic bottle ¼ of the way with water. This is the water that will filter and cool down your smoke. You don’t need to leave the cap on the bottle.
- Poke a hole just below the neck of the bottle to make the carb. The carb is the hole that you will cover with your finger at first and then let go of when you want to inhale the smoke in the bottle. Make the hole large enough for air to easily flow through it, but not so big that you won’t be able to cover it with your finger. You can use any sharp tool to make the hole, like scissors, a pen, or a needle.
- Make a second hole slightly above the waterline for the downstem. You will put the downstem—the tube with the bowl attached to it—through this hole at an angle so that the end inside of the bottle is submerged in the water. Make this hole with the same tool you used to make the first one. Make the hole about the same width as a pen.
- Use a highlighter and foil to fashion a downstem for the bong. To make the downstem, empty the contents of a highlighter so you’re left with just the hollow plastic tube. You may need to use scissors or pliers to pull the highlighter apart. Then, tear off a small piece of aluminum foil and wrap it around the wide end of the plastic tube. Press the center of the foil down into the tube to make the bowl and poke tiny holes in it so that the smoke can get through.
Push the open end of the downstem through the bottom hole you made. Angle the downstem downward so that the open end inside of the bottle is submerged in
the water. When you’re finished inserting
the downstem, the bowl should be angled upward on
the outside of
the bowl and try out your new bong. To use your plastic bottle bong,
start by covering
the carb—the hole you made at
the top of
the bottle—with your finger.
light up your herb or tobacco in
the bowl and inhale from
the mouthpiece—the opening where
the cap used to be.
When you’re ready to clear
the smoke from
release your finger from
the carb and inhale deeply.
Congratulations! You have just made your own bong out of a plastic bottle. Enjoy your smooth and filtered smoking experience!